Small Woodland Owners' Group

PPE headgear

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

PPE headgear

Postby smojo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm about to order a brushcutter. Later I will get a chainsaw and do some felling so I want some PPE to cover my head/face/ears. I guess the best option is one of the combined outfits that are a safety helmet with ear muffs and face guard built in. But there are so many types and I don't want to get something that turns out to be crap or inappropriate. Like visors that steam up or something. Are mesh visors best then? What can anyone recommend please. And I don't want to break the bank either :o
smojo

Re: PPE headgear

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Eyes and ears are the two most vulnerable bits, due to flying debris and 100db noise. A basic Stihl or Husky Forestry helmet should suffice @ around £35.

http://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/category/Husqvarna_Helmets/product/Husqvarna_Functional_Helmet/
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:31 pm

I'll do my usual, and recommend Chinese, had two of these for around 15 months now and still going strong, even though a mouse made a nest in one of the ear muffs a while back, mesh face guards don't steam up like a clear plastic one would, a lot of the time when Im doing silly little jobs I forget to use them, but I normally do remember when strimming or cutting down big trees

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAINSAW-FORE ... 5aeb699abf
Dexter's Shed

Postby outeredge » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 am

I have the Husky Functional as recommended above by paws - good build quality. Dexter's chinese one looks almost identical although it has a chin strap which the husky doesn't.
outeredge

Postby smojo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:41 am

Cheers folks. Yeah the Chinese one looks pretty good for the bucks. I also found this Stihl one which is probably similar quality to the Husky one but at nearly three times the price of the Chinese one, are these brand names one so much better. The mesh face guards look to give slightly better coverage. Also do the Chinese ones protect against kick back accidents as well?

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/stihl-aero-light-helmet-set.html
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:54 am

I would hope the safety brake of the chainsaw would save the chain reaching your head smojo, yup I've had kickback happen on my chinese widow maker copy, the brake came on as it should and stopped the chain, never went anywhere near my head, the hard hat is more for widow makers falling out of the tree
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:25 am

Point taken. Thanks
smojo

Postby Woodsmith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:39 am

I love my Stihl.(helmet with ear protectors and mesh visor) Having safety and comfort is the thing, these are very well designed and comfortable
Woodsmith

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance