Small Woodland Owners' Group

Planking oak with Logosol Big Mill & Timberjig

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Planking oak with Logosol Big Mill & Timberjig

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:40 am

I'd backup Wendelspanwick's concerns regarding cordless tools. I have some ten or so tools from the Makita 18 volt range and while I think they are very excellent indeed, I am well aware of their limitations in terms of running time especially when under heavy load - particularly in my case the chainsaw (BUC122Z) and the circular saw (BSS610Z).

I've also seen how much battery capability deteriorates with usage over time - that is the batteries I have which date from the time of buying my first tools maybe 6-7 years ago have now been used and charged so many times that they provide only a small amount of use in some tools before a noticeable drop in power/performance. I bought four new batteries towards the end of last year (I stick with genuine Makita ones) giving me a total of eight, all labelled so I know which are the newer ones. The older ones are still OK for use in the Makita torch for example or for jobs where I'm only using the tool for a few minutes. Continued use of the older batteries will I hope extend the life of the newer ones, using those only when necessary. I have successfully charged batteries when away from the mains using an inverter and a 12-volt power source such as leisure batteries. A pure sine wave inverter is I think needed to operate the Makita charger properly. With a tool such as the chainsaw though you can easily exhaust batteries quicker than they can be recharged. If you already have cordless tools (as I had), you might be able to make it work for you, but if starting out, I'd look at corded ones.

I recently bought a generator (http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/Generators/Petrol_Generators/Briggs_and_Stratton_Pro_Max_3500A_Long_Run_Petrol_Generator_3.4KVA.html) which I'm very pleased with. Note the voltage regulation feature which means it should be able to drive anything upto the power rating including items with 'sensitive' electronics (such as the Makita charger for instance). Note also the headline rating of 3.4kVA, not to be confused with the maximum wattage of the items it can power (2700). My best tip for generator use is a long cable so you can site the (noisy) generator away from where you're working. This one by the way adequately drives my 2200 watt electric log splitter.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 am

Thats useful Simon, many thanks. I don't want to shell out a total of £1000 for cordless kit only to find its not up to the job. As Wendel said, using decent hand tools where possible (they're also quieter!) and 240v with a genny for corded 240V might be the better option for many heavier tasks. I do have a year or two to investigate tools while the oak is seasoning, so sure the right mix of kit will become apparent- this is all valuable feedback.

On generators, I'd have thought if there's a comparable petrol v diesel, the diesel would be a better choice in order to use Red. I understand they use a litre of juice in around an hour, but whereas Red diesel is legal to use on generators at 67p, petrol with the road duty on it is twice the price. ??

On a tangential point; suppose I want to make a nice oak bench or chair for outdoor use, I've planked and seasoned my oak, but want to separate the sapwood off leaving just the heartwood, to avoid the edges of my bench deteriorating. Has anyone experience of peeling, cutting or carving sapwood off the edge of heartwood? What technique would you use; drawer knife, bandsaw, jigsaw, chisel or what ? I could go and buy a bit from Yandles for £40 to try it myself, but its cheaper to ask someone who's tried to do the same !
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:56 am

I do have a year or two to investigate tools while the oak is seasoning

Or not, to contradict myself. While some have expressed reservations about the success with which wood can be easily seasoned, I realise that I've been preoccupied with seasoned wood and have overlooked the possibilities offered by green oak.

Having just read Alison Ospina's excellent 'Green Wood chairs', searched for green wood furniture on t'internet and talked to others who've worked in green oak, I realise its quite possible to start making some green items as soon as the tree is planked, particularly items such as benches, tables etc for outside use. Green Oak has quite a kudos and is one of the best materials for garden items, even if the public don't always know what the 'green' refers to; they just think it sounds nice.

Whereas the recession has crucified sales of many smaller household items, those who buy nice garden furniture by definition tend to have nice gardens, large houses, be better off and perhaps less impacted by the downturn. Those I know making certain garden pieces seem to have escaped the worst ravages of the last few years.
oldclaypaws

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance