Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chain saw oil

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Chain saw oil

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:I am really pleased with my new electric chainsaw, it's really light and has a brand new oil free chain:
image.jpg

love it, at last some good humour :lol:
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:21 pm

When I started sawing I tried Wendelpanswicks Makita 'compact' saw as per the illustration, but found a few issues with them.

Theres no decent brake on them, and without an oil reservoir they are inclined to get very hot, so you cant use them for more than a few minutes. Also other people have a tendency to be a bit dismissive of them, they can result in derisory laughter, which is just plain spite and jealousy. I know Ben Laws uses one and would never swap it for a more 'new fangled' model.

For inexperienced users, as I respectfully believe you are Pam, I'd go for the 6" Meersaw. Not only is it softer on the hands, but comes with free insurance, which can't be bad. :D

Meersaw.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby davetb » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:39 pm

The electric makita chainsaw manuals are easy to find online with google.
You haven't told us the model.
It should be easy to find the appropriate one.
Please take a few minutes to read the correct manual.
Be careful with your extension leads as you will get a voltage drop.
The photo is taken from one of the online manuals.
We are all trying to give you suitable advice, even if it doesn't feel like it.
Be safe.
Best wishes,
Dave
Attachments
image.jpg
davetb

Postby Stevieb0y » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi, regarding the chainsaws being sold by Tesco in this discussion, I'd suggest the majority are electric as they will mainly be purchased by people using them in their back gardens for occasional purposes.
Most people on here will probably be using theirs more regularly and on bigger trees than those found in most back gardens.
I've recently bought my woods and been looking at chainsaws etc. my father has given me his Stihl one which I've not used yet and have no intentions until I get all the correct protective clothing and some training.
The thought of working with such potentially dangerous machines in my woods alone or even with my wife nearby is enough to make me want to invest in my safety.
It doesn't take much for something to go horribly wrong. Just look at how many accidents are caused by DIY.
If anyone can recommend a good course or trainer in the NW (preferably around the Cheshire area) I'd be thankful.
Stevieb0y

Postby outeredge » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Patandsam wrote:That looks a lot lighter to handle than the one we bought. The electricity cord looks a bit short but I guess you can put on a longer one or plug it into an extension lead. Its blue, so is it a Makita as well? Who sells them and what do they cost?

Tesco used to sell them for £19.99.
outeredge

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:08 pm

Patandsam wrote:The electricity cord looks a bit short but I guess you can put on a longer one or plug it into an extension lead.

Or if you have already have a decent length garden hose, use that with a hose/extension converter. I believe these people will make you up one - see bottom right second page for the type of thing they can do: -

http://www.flutterby.com/images/2012/10/01/hf_tool_sale.pdf

;-)
SimonFisher

Postby davetb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Apologies, in advance - medics tend to have a 'black' sense of humour.
I note that neither Pat or Sam have logged on to the forum for over a week.

Were we all too forthright and/or rude ?
Have we been 'dumped' ?

Alternatively, should we be worried and perhaps 'send someone round', to make sure they're safe.
Is it possible to be trapped under a Rhodedendron ?
davetb

Postby outeredge » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 am

You should add the possibility of being trapped in 200m extension cord to that list!
outeredge

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:22 am

davetb wrote:... I note that neither Pat or Sam have logged on to the forum for over a week ... Were we all too forthright and/or rude ? Have we been 'dumped' ?

I think they'll be back when they have another question. That looks to be what happened last time.

davetb wrote:... should we be worried and perhaps 'send someone round', to make sure they're safe. Is it possible to be trapped under a Rhodedendron ?

Yes! - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27882358
SimonFisher

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance