Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tool list for a new woodland owner

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Tool list for a new woodland owner

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:36 pm

Don't forget we're coming up for the peak of the Woodfair season. There are loads of tool sellers at them and demos of interesting kit. Not sure which would be nearest to you Smojo but the June newsletter lists the bigger ones, and there'll be other events listed in Living Woods and other wood related publications. Hopefully I might have recovered enough to get to Treefest at Westonbirt in August.
oldclaypaws

Postby greyman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm

The lumpy bit of wood is used to bash the upright poles in when you're laying a hedge. The poles start off taller than me (I'm 5 9'ish first thing in the morning). Think of how you would use a normal club to hit the top of a 1 -2 inch bit of hazel then think of this little bit of wood turned upside down with the long side branch held in yer sweaty paw. You bring it down so the flat of the head strikes the top face of the pole. This little wrinkle was given to me by a chap who recently gave me free basic training in how to lay a hedge. I had basic knowledge but had never actually done any.
greyman

Postby outeredge » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:07 pm

There's nothing better than getting a "kit" together. My car has a decent first aid kit in it so that saves money.

SimonFisher wrote:What do you intend using the bowsaw for?

I got it to cut smaller branches into logs when I don't have the chainsaw (still need to learn how to use it yet!)

Thanks for your advice, I am going to take the bowsaw back as I don't want unnecessary tools to carry. As I'm a bit obsessed with all the new Fiskars stuff (for good reason I feel, they are light, strong, sharp and feel lovely to use) so I've ordered up the SW75 retractable saw, it has really good reviews and matches all my axes/brush hook :D

Also, I gave in and ordered up a Husky 550xp, outstanding saw I'm told, just need some training now.

p.s. smojo I was going to ask you why you were on the forum and not in your woods on Sunday and then I remembered...
outeredge

Postby smojo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:15 am

greyman wrote:The lumpy bit of wood is used to bash the upright poles in when you're laying a hedge. The poles start off taller than me (I'm 5 9'ish first thing in the morning). Think of how you would use a normal club to hit the top of a 1 -2 inch bit of hazel then think of this little bit of wood turned upside down with the long side branch held in yer sweaty paw. You bring it down so the flat of the head strikes the top face of the pole. This little wrinkle was given to me by a chap who recently gave me free basic training in how to lay a hedge. I had basic knowledge but had never actually done any.

That's a great idea. We should start a topic on here with ideas like this - tools and stuff you can make easily
smojo

Postby smojo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:20 am

p.s. smojo I was going to ask you why you were on the forum and not in your woods on Sunday and then I remembered...

Arrgh - don't rub it in, I'm chomping at the bit to get in there. Why do you think I'm spending so much time on this forum :D ;) The good part is, I'm retired so I can go more or less when I want, apart from the distance which will limit me somewhat but it's nice doing stuff during the week when kids and worker bees are locked up :P
smojo

Postby smojo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:24 am

Binz wrote:If you are getting a chainsaw a couple of things to add to the list are a felling bar and plastic felling wedges. I find I use the wedges more often than the bar. A winch can be handy for hung up trees. And top tip for chain oil is to carry it in a lucozade sport bottle (other brands are available) as the 'nozzle' type top means it squirts directly into the saw with no drips and no mess.

I'm still on a huge learning curve here. What are the felling bar and wedges used for? Is it to lift a log clear of the ground so you can cut it without hitting dirt?
smojo

Postby Wendelspanswick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:16 am

smojo wrote:
Binz wrote:If you are getting a chainsaw a couple of things to add to the list are a felling bar and plastic felling wedges. I find I use the wedges more often than the bar. A winch can be handy for hung up trees. And top tip for chain oil is to carry it in a lucozade sport bottle (other brands are available) as the 'nozzle' type top means it squirts directly into the saw with no drips and no mess.

I'm still on a huge learning curve here. What are the felling bar and wedges used for? Is it to lift a log clear of the ground so you can cut it without hitting dirt?

Used to stop the bar of the saw getting pinched in the cut and for levering over trees after the felling cut has been made but it just won't go!
Wendelspanswick

Postby dredger99 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Hey all.

For me the list would be:

Chainsaw and relevant PPE ( I have the trousers the boots the gloves the helmet but in all honesty i normally only use the hardhat and the gloves with steel toecap boots which i always wear anyway)
My main jobs so far ahave been to remove leaning and fallen tree's and to clear some of the masses of Rhododendrons i have, which without the chainsaw i would have hardly scratched the surface.

Small forester axe (Gransfor Bruks) i love using this axe to clear low branches to carve / cut firewood and for general duties around the campfire etc. I swear by Gransfor and i have a small collection going of them 6 axes so far.

Logging tongs absolutely a godsend for lifting small/medium logs and dragging them around or even just for shifting firewood around a pile.

Wheelbarrow Another item that will save your back in a hundred ways, from shifting soil to transporting firewood to pushing the wife back to the caravan after a few to many vino's round the camp fire :lol:

Caravan Now i know this isn't exactly a tool but this has increased the amount of time we have spent in the woods considerably not to mention the facility to store tools.

I hope my ramblings help

Dredger
dredger99

Postby smojo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Logging tongs absolutely a godsend for lifting small/medium logs and dragging them around or even just for shifting firewood around a pile.

Ta for suggestions. Logging tongs, yeah wondered about them too. Also thought about caravan but I'm thinking it might attract attention from thieves and vandals and I wouldn't want to keep tools in - too easy to break into.
smojo

Postby outeredge » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 pm

dredger99 wrote:Logging tongs absolutely a godsend for lifting small/medium logs and dragging them around or even just for shifting firewood around a pile.

Right, I'll have to get some Fiskars WoodXpert Log Tongs too then... :D
outeredge

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance