Small Woodland Owners' Group

Trenching tool

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Trenching tool

Postby Rod Taylor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Can anyone recommend an effective tool for digging a shallow trench/ditch. Do have a Kubota B7100 with 3 point linkage and PTO so power driven would make life easier.
Have wide woodland rides that water lays in so very soft. A shallow trench at each side should drain them and make them much more user friendly. A hundred volunteers with a spade each would be more environmentally friendly but a handy tool to go with one man and his tractor is probably the best bet. Any suggestions on an effective solution will be appreciated.
Rod Taylor

Re: Trenching tool

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Whether or not you find the right mechanical solution, for smaller manual trenching jobs this is the right tool; (widely used in Asia / Africa for irrigation channels)

http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/trenching-hoe-complete-with-handle-p136

The 'Canterbury Fork' by the same company makes it quick and easy to pull bramble roots.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:58 pm

A Ferguson 3 point linkage earth scoop is designed for exactly the task you have in mind, you should be able to pick one up for well under £100.
I have one, it was one of the first implements I bought for my Fergie and its been invaluable.

In fact there is one on eBay now with no bids and less than 24 hrs to go in Cumbria.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Bearwood » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:47 am

Man I love those earth scoops! One of the implements on my wanted list.
Bearwood

Postby Rod Taylor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 am

Thanks for replies.
The earth scoop sounds promising but wonder if it will leave a pile of spoil both sides of the bucket to be manually moved. Is it possible to tilt the scoop to leave spoil one side only, or would a single blade plough be more effective ??
Rod Taylor

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:36 am

for anyone else reading this, who finds it an interesting post, but has no idea what an earth scoop looks like, here's the e bay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferguson-Eart ... 3ce03fcda8
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:20 pm

The earth scoop is a really effective tool. In use you drive slowly forward controling the depth of cut with the hydraulics and when the scoop is full you raise the hydraulics and move to where you want to deposit the spoil and then pull the trip lever, emptying the scoop. Pushing the lever resets the scoop ready for the next load.
It digs a trench 2ft wide which by the time the sides batter in leaves 1 ft open at the base.
Harry Ferguson really thought this tool out, the only adjustment needed is the length of the top link which controls the angle of attack of the the scoop, use a low angle for a shallow trench and a steep angle to take big bites out of the ground.
You can also use it to dig ponds so long as they are bigger than about 2m in diameter.
It can also use it as a grader blade by lowering the scoop in the tipped position and driving forward, ideal for levelling ruts on tracks or spreading gravel/wood chips etc. I use ours to clear the snow and ice from our lane in the winter.
Finally it can be used for shifting piles of aggregate or sand from one location to another.
Wendelspanswick

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Rod

Hope you are both well

We are having working parties on various days with 10 people or less as we have ditch issues

Have been doing it by hand, cutting back overhanging trees, clearing existing culverts, finding new ones, clearing brambles to see the real ditch. The ditches mile plus each side were dug 7 years ago?? but we now realise how important a few hours spent is when the track starts eroding

B and T Solar Wood East Sussex
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Terry » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:03 pm

The earth scoop sounds a useful bit of kit Wendelspanswick - not seen that before.

Back to the original question, I appreciate it is not the most environmentally friendly option, and in the absence of work parties, what about hiring in a small digger for a day or two and blitzing all the jobs you can while you have the machine.
Terry

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance