Small Woodland Owners' Group

Brushcutters

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Brushcutters

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:34 am

Bearwood wrote:I don't know what your thoughts are on second hand.

I love a good bit of secondhand me :D
am an evil bay addict
secondhand purchases for the woods include
carpet trolley (used as a log trolley)
metal shed
large 20x10 marquee
log burner
4m bell tent
paraffin heater
assorted green woodworking tools
pipe for use in bridge making

well done on the chainsaw/strimmer, always keeping me eyes open
Dexter's Shed

Postby Bearwood » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:27 pm

As with anything ebay (and increasingly Gumtree) is only as good as the honesty of the listing. There's no point looking for a brushcutter that's a step away from the scrap man if you can't repair it, but a carb overhaul is easy and an engine rebuild is difficult but achievable. If in doubt, butter-up (or even 'bitter-up') your local hire outlet and ask if they have any items they're due to retire.

Politely remind them that one in the hand is worth two in the 'brush'.
Bearwood

Postby Bearwood » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:
I love a good bit of secondhand me :D
am an evil bay addict
secondhand purchases for the woods include
carpet trolley (used as a log trolley)
metal shed
large 20x10 marquee
log burner
4m bell tent
paraffin heater
assorted green woodworking tools
pipe for use in bridge making

well done on the chainsaw/strimmer, always keeping me eyes open

Get yourself the ultimate in eBay purchases;
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385238899.581695.jpg

(Not the child!)
Bearwood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:18 pm

GOD, I would love a tractor
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Bearwood wrote:
Get yourself the ultimate in eBay purchases;
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385238899.581695.jpg

(Not the child!)

I have the same but mine could do with a paint job.
Petrol, petrol/TVO or diesel? Mines a straight petrol
1947, the starter died on mine about 3 years ago so I start it on the handle, it always amazes me that I can leave her outside for 4 months, turn the petcock, pull the choke, turn on the ignition and swing the handle and away she goes first time!
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Buy one then !

You can get a pretty OK one for £1500, wack up a shed in Rat Forest, and reinvent yourself as 'Dexters Tractor Shed'. Lots of uses in a wood- PTO log splitter, stick on a shovel to do earth moving and landscaping, pulling logs, flail to do brambles, going to the pub in it.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:44 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:

Buy one then !

You can get a pretty OK one for £1500, wack up a shed in Rat Forest, and reinvent yourself as 'Dexters Tractor Shed'. Lots of uses in a wood- PTO log splitter, stick on a shovel to do earth moving and landscaping, pulling logs, flail to do brambles, going to the pub in it.

maybe in another year, skint for now and money locked up,lol
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:16 am

Just to get back to brushcutters after we digressed into parachutes, ipads and tractors; the Einhell went back to Amazon this week where it'll chucked into a skip for want of a £2 unavailable broken part, refund has been sent.

That left me cutterless and on the prowl for another, having got a taste for them. Discussions had lead me towards a 35cc Husky 135R (The Stihl FS90 is a 4 mix and requires occasional tappet fiddling), when I spotted the more beastly Husky 43cc 143R II listed by Radmore's curiously for the same price as the smaller 135R. Apparently they are both good, the 143 RII is heavier, bigger fuel tank, 'rugged & designed for tough commercial use', more torquey, perhaps less refined than the 'home user's' 135, but more powerful. Perhaps the reason Radmores didn't recommend the 143 RII is that they were out of stock. In fact, so were three other vendors I tried (its popular and stocks are in short supply), but eventually tracked one down in Birmingham, its on its way for £384 after some negotiation. Willetts have 4 if anyone else fancies one too. Their ladies were quite charming, fortunately I could understand their broad brummie accents having lived next to Spaghetti Junction for 6 years, where I picked up some useful Punjabi phrases and great Bhaji recipes.

http://www.hughiewillett.co.uk/index.php/husqvarna-143rii-strimmer-brushcutter.html

Husky guarantee to supply spares for a minimum 10 years after the model is withdrawn. Also separately ordered a mulching blade which is apparently superior to a straight blade. Playtime on Monday.

http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/strimmer-brushcutter-accessori/oregon-brushcutter-blades/showitem-KP-FGP014256.aspx
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:47 am

oldclaypaws wrote:... the more beastly Husky 43cc 143R II ... on its way for £384 ...

Will you be giving this a workout straight away? I'm interested in what you think. I've seen a few mentions that the harness isn't as good as it might be, your view on that would be useful. I gather it's possible to use a Stihl one instead which seems favoured by some.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:44 am

Subject to weather I'll be giving it a go ASAP, the delivery is scheduled for sometime Monday. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Einhell which was the same size engine. Presumably no bits will drop off the Husky. Will post a review ASAP also. 143R II's are currently in very short supply as apparently Husky have mucked about with their overall components stock to try and keep down costs, and have run out of some.

The word is that while keeping the existing models, next year Husky will renumber them all as the current regime is confusing. They have basic models with a '5' prefix, also top of the range with a '5', basic ones with a '3' prefix, and midrange ones with a '1', they are almost in random order. Who knows what the 'RII' on mine symbolises. By reallocating different numbers (presumably in ascending order), it should be easier to work out which are superior, but you'll have the same models with different old and new numbers which should make ordering parts fun. Hey ho.
oldclaypaws

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance