Small Woodland Owners' Group

Rojek Wood Crusher / Chopper

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Rojek Wood Crusher / Chopper

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:56 am

At a recent local Woodfair (Blackdown Wood Association), I was very impressed with a piece of kit I hadn't seen before, a Czechoslavakian made 'Rojek Wood Crusher'.

You feed brash or branches up to 3" in, and it effortlessly chops it into short 'loglets', ideal for the woodburner. The guy operating it reckoned it would fill 30 log nets an hour, and theres a twin shoot arrangement which feeds the produce straight into the nets. Why heap brash when you can chop and sell or use it?

I can hire one of these for £50 a day, which should do the trick, to buy they are around £4 K. What do you reckon, and have you seen any other similar bits of kit available in the UK?

Surely, a machine which chops into useful burnable sizes is far more useful than a shredder, which generates an unusable waste product?

See video; its cool !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi9jmZPf1gk
oldclaypaws

Re: Rojek Wood Crusher / Chopper

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:15 pm

I'd be cautious about anything imported, probably chop ya arm off, I'd use it fine, but I value my brash for dead hedges
Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Interesting! I've often wondered about being able to process some of our brash into a useful (burnable) stock rather than piling it all up. For me it's a question of finding the right balance between the time taken to cut it up and the amount of fuel produced.

Another video with some useful information posted alongside and without that "music" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzwdKSIyoU

Also, a thread on Arbtalk which touches on these machines - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/48162-different-way-chop-your-wood.html.

I wonder about drying/seasoning the stuff after it's been cut though - lots of small stuff may restrict airflow and increase the likelihood of it going mouldy, especially if you were to try and store it in bulk. Perhaps in small sacks it's less of an issue ???

Where's the hire outlet for £50 a day?
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:54 pm

The chap who had this bit of kit, Mike Thorne, is fortunately just 8 miles over the Somerset/Devon border from me, and will tow it to your site if you're local, plus demonstrate how it works. Its just like the one on the video with a Honda petrol motor. He has a woodchip-log-boiler-eco business. As far as I know, I'm the only Forum member within easy reach of him (?) and I believe he has a limited local range.

http://www.ecogreenenergy.co.uk/Contact.eco-green-energy.aspx

Found a UK distributor with costs in Euros, they do petrol, lecky, and tractor PTO versions, all around £4k

http://www.swansolar.eu/rojek%20-%20prices.htm

They also have another brief video of it up and running;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Sjr2zQmhY

Yes Dexter, they would take an arm off quite easily. -Possibly the Saudi ministry of Justice is another market? Probably best not to take the rise out of machinery manufacturers from Prague though, you don't want to end up with a 'bouncing Czech' :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby Whatisheatnow » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Is there a UK agent for these machines?
Whatisheatnow

Postby Whatisheatnow » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Sorry, I did not read ocp's post carefully enough.
Whatisheatnow

Postby Terry » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 pm

[quote="Dexter's Shed"]I'd be cautious about anything imported/quote] :lol: poacher turned game keeper there Dexter. Hows the widow maker :lol:
Terry

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Terry wrote:
Dexter's Shed wrote:I'd be cautious about anything imported/quote] :lol: poacher turned game keeper there Dexter. Hows the widow maker :lol:

that was my tongue in cheek humour, the widow maker is great, 10 months of hard use now, its still going strong and all limbs still intack ;)

I dont understand your "poacher turned gamekeeper" as I've never been either
Dexter's Shed

Postby Terry » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:12 am

Dexter's Shed wrote:
Terry wrote:
Dexter's Shed wrote:I'd be cautious about anything imported/quote] :lol: poacher turned game keeper there Dexter. Hows the widow maker :lol:

that was my tongue in cheek humour, the widow maker is great, 10 months of hard use now, its still going strong and all limbs still intack ;) is that refering to bits flying off :D

I dont understand your "poacher turned gamekeeper" as I've never been either

purely in relation to your warning people off imported machines ;) :lol:

Good to hear the chainsaw is earning its keep. As with any chainsaw, just needs to be kept a good eye on to keep using it safely.
Most incidents with chainsaws as well as any other kit normally has more to do with the loose nut between the ears of the operator, rather than the machinery itself !
Terry

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:22 am

Terry wrote:Most incidents with chainsaws as well as any other kit normally has more to do with the loose nut between the ears of the operator, rather than the machinery itself !

at last, someone else who see's the real reasons
Dexter's Shed

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance