Small Woodland Owners' Group

quickly finding all new posts since your last visit

Drop in here for advice on how to use the board

quickly finding all new posts since your last visit

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:47 pm

It's useful sometimes on revisiting the forum to see if there's been any new posts (individual entries in a topic) since you last looked.

The forum software keeps track of which posts you've read and which ones you haven't.

If you use the Mark forums read option, the forum software will record every post in every topic as having been read by you.

If you then use the View unread posts option, you will only see any posts that have been made since you marked everything as read. As you read those posts, the forum software will now record them also as having been read by you.

Thus on each visit to the forum, simply using View unread posts will be enough for you to see what's been happening since your previous visit.

I have found this method of monitoring the latest posts to be better than View new posts or View active topics.
SimonFisher

Re: quickly finding all new posts since your last visit

Postby Rich » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks for explaining this Simon,
I think as we get used tothe new board, people are finding it somewhat 'diluted' in comparison to the old one. What I mean by this is that because the posts are spread amongst different boards, finding them is not as immediate as with the old board which simply placed the most recent post at the top of the pile.

It's worth everyone taking a few moments to customise the way they look at the boards to get the most out of it.
Cheers

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Return to Guidelines for Newcomers and Technophobes