Small Woodland Owners' Group

Spring is here

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Spring is here

Postby SitkaSpruce » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:30 am

The chiffchaffs arrived at Easter- feels like spring now. The warm weather is bringing out the larch needles, on Sunday we could almost see the wood greening up. What's arrived in your wood?
SitkaSpruce

Re: Spring is here

Postby Rich » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:59 pm

I've been foraging ramsons, wild garlic for about a month, but now they are lush and some are about to flower. Pick a handful, add to a salad, if the flavour is too strong for you, take the heat out a bit ... with some heat! Chop some up, add a couple of eggs turn into a pan for an omelette. Crush and add oil and soft cheese, pine nuts for a pesto!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby calvertwood » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:57 am

Amen to wild garlic. There's so much you can do with it. Pick the pods, or whatever they're called, before they flower, stick them briefly in a little boiling vinegar, and bottle when cold for a crunchy and flavourful pickle. Then, when the flowers are out, pick a few handfuls and strew them over a salad. They look beautiful and taste good. Finally, when the flowers have gone, I gather the seeds, dry them in a low oven, then mix them with salt flakes for a wild version of garlic salt, which lasts all year.

Nick
calvertwood

Postby smojo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Covered in wood anemonies in flower now, bluebells not flowering yet but plenty around, ramsons, lords and ladies, hazel and birch opening leaves, looking real pretty now
smojo

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Got one small clump of wild garlic leaves, leaving them to spread a few years before taking handfuls

Only 2 bluebells out Easter weekend many wood anemones New Badger holes Jays in pairs when I normally see them by themselves
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to Wildlife