Small Woodland Owners' Group

Shocking wildlife headline from WWF

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Shocking wildlife headline from WWF

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 am

All the more important for us to do our little bit to protect our little 'sanctuaries';

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/29/earth-lost-50-wildlife-in-40-years-wwf?view=mobile#opt-in-message
oldclaypaws

Re: Shocking wildlife headline from WWF

Postby jennysmate » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:46 am

This is shocking.
I think we need to do a lot more than just look after our small woodlands.
jennysmate

Postby Binz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:19 am

1 of the main causes is reported as consumption of wildlife; something to remember next time you eat some wildlife in that healthy tuna salad or fish and chips supper
Binz

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:30 pm

While not claiming to be an expert, that are certain products you should seek to avoid if you want the planet to have a sustainable future. Don't buy furniture made from imported exotic timber like teak, or products that are farmed from deforested land- palm oil products, cheap burgers, unfortunately soya products which are very hard to avoid (especially if you use soya milk as I do). Prawns from the Far East rather than Atlantic are farmed in incredibly destructive ways that decimate the sea bed-anything living is dragged off the ocean floor and ground up to feed the prawns, wrecking the ecosystem. Many Tuna are endangered. Eating less meat reduces your carbon footprint, as its fed inefficiently on grain and uses loads of oil and energy to produce. - Not an option if you have big dogs as we do, but then we do have an allotment and the wood, so are self sufficient in veg and heating fuel. Shame dogs can't be fed on oak leaves. (But no doubt they will eat venison or rabbit ?....)

It also helps to reduce your consumption as much as possible, living modestly rather than being flash, using local products wherever possible, including holidaying in the UK. Rather suspect I'm preaching to the converted, if you've bought a wood you're likely to more likely to be one of the good guys than the mindless herd.

Maybe the ultimate 'green' actions to reduce your impact on the environment are be gay or don't breed, top yourself or even better become a serial killer (I think that's called joining the military). Its all rather depressing to see the rapidly rising negative effects of the human race, as population soars, resources dry up, and climate change kicks in, it ain't going to end well.......
oldclaypaws

Return to Wildlife