Small Woodland Owners' Group

Access Wanted.

feel free to post unwanted/surplus or wanted items

Access Wanted.

Postby Stanp535 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi all,
Its a bit of a long shot but I am looking for access to woodland to run small scale bushcraft courses. I am happy to discuss the cost of access, I would be looking for a 1-2 weekends a month through the summer and less over the winter. I have a HND in woodland management and arboriculture and I have been teaching bushcraft for 4 years. I work with a "leave no trace" ethic and would have minimal impact with low numbers attending. The area Im looking for is within an hour of Swindon in any direction. I need access to at least 5 acres with a central camp area, the owner will need to be happy with the removal of minimal green wood, preferably coppicable material.
This could be an easy way to earn some cash from your woodland without lifting a finger, parameters of the arrangement can be set before any access and financial compensation is negotiable.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I happy to answer any queries you may have.
Stan
Stanp535

Re: Access Wanted.

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:35 am

presumably proper insurance would be needed by the owner, not just public liability either, as if money changes hands, those people would be classed as employees
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:28 am

presumably proper insurance would be needed by the owner, not just public liability either, as if money changes hands, those people would be classed as employees

I have just insured my woods for peace of mind. An interesting point came up while in conversation. If you tell a visitor how to do something, you then become an employer. So for example if you just ask a helper to cut some logs you are not an employer but if you tell them how to cut them, you are now an employer in that situation so if they hurt themselves in doing it, you become liable as an employer.
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:04 am

that's an interesting point smojo, so stanp, do you have such insurance?
Dexter's Shed

Return to For sale, swap, wanted, share or give away