Small Woodland Owners' Group

offered - birch saplings

feel free to post unwanted/surplus or wanted items

offered - birch saplings

Postby splodger » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:14 am

in our little chestnut copse we have an area that was coppiced a few years ago which now has a large number of birch saplings growing (all shot up once the light got in) - the regrowth of chestnut is now getting to a fair size and over the next year or so will create a dense canopy which will block the light to the birch beneath - and these saplings will eventually die off - as they are doomed and are also in the way, they are going to be grubbed up - as we don't have an areas where they can be resited

i hate wasting anything so just wondered if anybody was planning any tree planting in the autumn and wanted any birch saplings (free if you want to pull them up yourself) sizes vary from 1 or 2 ft upto 8ft plus - easy to pull / dig - as we are on sandy soil

just thought i'd ask / offer - pm if interested
based in hampshire ;)
splodger

Re: offered - birch saplings

Postby paulorna » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:41 pm

hi splodger, i may well be interested in your birch saplings.. i presume late autum for removal ?? not sure if i will be ready by then , but gives me something to work to..if you get another taker in the meantime , no worries.. if not then i might be ready... spk soon.. regards paul
paulorna

Postby splodger » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:19 am

paul if you let me know roughly how many and what size you'd prefer - i'll "reserve" a patch for you - ie - i won't grub them out ;)

i obviously haven't counted them all - but i'd guess that there are several hundred that will need removing at some time or another
splodger

Postby paulorna » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm

hi splodger, just to recap.. we have just been out bid AGAIN on a woodland :( ARRGH !! that s now into double figures...perhaps we are not destined to be an owner??..but the search will continue regardless as my love is deeper than pound notes !!! incase u wondering we are also looking for pasture along side the wood. to plant and create our own..hopefully with the aid of grants and also as its a jubilee year there is help there too..... so as and when we are successful on a purchase, only then will i be in a position to take on aload of my favourite tree.... hope this plays well with your plans, as u said not nice to waste the saplings..but if needs must and u really need to push on then so be it.... i will keep u posted.. regards paul ;)

p.s the answer to your question is.... i be interested in over 100 and being the largest possible !
paulorna

Postby splodger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:43 am

shame about being outbid again - but you seem to be determined, so i am sure you'll find the right spot soon

we will probably have to clear a few areas soon - but not everything will have to go straight away, so i'll try and keep a few hundred back - but i doubt i'll be able to keep them beyond late winter / early spring (it depends on all other jobs that we are trying to get sorted and the weather etc)

as we have a few fresh clear spaces in the wood - i expect there will be many more birch saplings appearing - now that the light can get in - so i am guessing that this time next year (and one after) there will be more saplings to offer ;)

good luck 8-)
splodger

Postby paulorna » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 pm

hi ya splodger,
have found a woodland, and they have accepted our offer. at long last, this was 2 weeks ago.. so just about to sign the dotted line and then we get the news of chalara fraxinus... oops... just about to buy woodland that holds 30/40% ash... gutted ! although they not diseased (yet)..
so if we go ahead with the purchase and the FC instruct us to fell then i may well take you up on your offer sooner rather than later.. will let you know...
how you getting on with your plans ??
do you have any ash tree ??
paul
paulorna

Postby splodger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:14 pm

we don't have much ash - which under the circumstances is quite a relief

haven't done much clearing where the birch saplings are - so there are still hundreds of them available if you can make use of them - just let me know ;)
splodger

Postby paulorna » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 pm

hi there splodger, its paul here regarding those birch saplings.. do u have any still ??
paulorna

Postby splodger » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:37 am

yep - they are still available - they will be ever so easy to pull up by hand, once the snow melts
congrats on becoming a SWO (at last) :D
just let me know when you want to come and get some - don't leave it too long ;)
splodger

Postby paulorna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:41 am

thanx yes am very excited to getting stuck in.....now, i have no experience in transporting ! so will look into that.. maybe the case of just hiring a luton ?? what would you advise ? as for planting advice i can probably get help from friends... i understand there will be a percentage that wont take after replanting, but that i can handle !! my number is 07748027138 and live in maidstone, tx me your number and i will call to arrange ;) paul
paulorna

Next

Return to For sale, swap, wanted, share or give away