Small Woodland Owners' Group

Looking for woods or a field to rent in Faversham Kent area

Offers and requests for sharing/renting or using woodland for activities or help in the wood

Looking for woods or a field to rent in Faversham Kent area

Postby celt73 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi All
I wondered if anyone could help. I have been looking for a while for an area such as a field or woodland in Faversham, Whitstable or Canterbury areas of Kent where I could set up a forest school for young children with and without disabilities. I am at present studying to become a level 3 forest school teacher. My idea would be to build a small dome tent on the land and use it as a base so we could go in and out the woods, we would also like to be able to build a small fire pit to use in cold weather. We would only use the field/wood for very small groups and initial once or twice a week. Would this be something that is available to rent at the moment? I promise we would use the area appropriately and with respect, we would have all insurances, risk assessments, policies and procedures in place.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Kind Regards Louise
celt73

Re: Looking for woods or a field to rent in Faversham Kent a

Postby boxerman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Welcome to the forum, Louise. You'll find massive amounts of info available here and very friendly and helpful folk.

That sounds a very worthwhile and satisfying goal you're setting yourself tho I suspect you may find things not quite as easy to achieve as you think. This is certainly the right place to ask for info re woodlands but I doubt you'll find anyone with anything to rent - most here have worked hard to get their places and protect them vigorously.. I'm no expert but as far as woodlands go (probably not a lot different for a field) there are very strict regulations in place to protect them - wouldn't know where to point you but I'm sure someone will be along who can and you need to be aware of the limitations of what can and cannot be done. Not quite sure what you mean by building a small dome tent - if you mean an actual building then I doubt you'd have a cat in hell's chance of getting permission as it would require a 'change of use'. A storage shed may be built if you can show a need for forestry purposes but other than that it's a no, no. In theory you can stay over 28 nights a yea in a tent or such.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Binz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:22 am

Hi Louise, I went on a FS taster day and the leader just put up a couple of tarps and took them down at the end of the day. A normal dome tent could be put up each time or you could risk leaving it up - we had one for camping in, left it up and it got demolished in high winds. So a big tent is an option but you'll have to watch the weather and take it down or make sure it is strong enough to stay up. Check out lavvu tents as they are supposed to be better at resisting high winds. You may find others on here who do have FS in their woods so they may able to give some tips too.

good luck
Binz

Postby stavyz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi louise, have you had any luck looking for some woodlands
stavyz

Return to Woodland - Share, Rent, Borrow or Volunteer