Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wanted woodland to rent in Bristol area

Offers and requests for sharing/renting or using woodland for activities or help in the wood

Wanted woodland to rent in Bristol area

Postby gemmachapman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a couple of acres of woodland to rent in the Bristol area. I will be using it to run educational sessions with children, so access and parent parking is essential.

If you know of anyone who could help please pass on my contact details:

Gemma 07870227889 or [email protected]

gemmachapman

Re: Wanted woodland to rent in Bristol area

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:17 pm

Don't know if you have in mind a philanthropic or commercial venture, but the following organisation might prove a useful contact, they do woodland stuff with disadvantaged kids just South of Taunton in the Blackdown Hills near us.

http://www.youngwood.org.uk/
oldclaypaws

Postby gemmachapman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks I'll check them out!

Gemma
gemmachapman

Postby gemmachapman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Does anybody know of any woodland to rent in the bristol area??
gemmachapman

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 pm

As you will know, Bristol is a large metropolis with very little woodland, other than on the Avon Gorge and Leigh Woods, which are a Nature Reserve. I think you need to cast your net further afield, such as the Forest of Dean. Woodlands.co.uk currently have two woods for sale near Bath, although there is a covenant to ensure purchasers do not disturb neighbouring owners which will likely exclude forest schools with kids and parents cars.

We've had numerous requests for rented woods on the forum (particularly by bushcrafters), but only one ever offered in Sussex. Most people on this forum have bought woods for their own use; only so much activity is allowed in a wood before coming under the gaze of planning officials, and to allow it will restrict what we would be able to do ourselves. I turned down a potentially lucrative approach to use my wood as it would have restricted what I could do myself and also the neighbours weren't keen on the potential noise generated.

Many fields are often bought and leased to tenant farmers, but woodland owners seem very protective. Many woods have access issues, they are often on steep or boggy ground which excludes normal agriculture, so expecting to find one where several cars can just drive in makes your hunt even more challenging.

You might do better to make a pitch to a large private Estate or Council or the FC and ask if they have an appropriate piece of wood, citing the educational benefits it offers to kids, which is very worthy. The Dorset Coppice group have a 'forest classroom' at Bonsley Wood, and the Stock Gaylard Estate seem to do a lot relating to public activities and woods, so you might do better to try and approach places where existing woodland activities are already set up with the facilities needed in place rather than waiting hopefully for a new private owner to come forward. There's also Westonbirt Arboretum which isn't too far from Bristol, but they already have some of their own family and kiddies activities in place, worth enquiring though.

Good Luck.
oldclaypaws

Return to Woodland - Share, Rent, Borrow or Volunteer