Small Woodland Owners' Group

Small plot required

Offers and requests for sharing/renting or using woodland for activities or help in the wood

Postby van77 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi all, this is my first post.

I live and work in the south near Portsmouth, I've been looking for absolute ages for a very small plot of woodland, I'd be happy with anything from 1/4 to 1/2 an acre within a larger plot I only have £3000 to spend, is there anyone here that is able to offer me something within 1 and a half hours drive or at least point me in the right direction, I enjoy bushcraft and camping and just want somewhere to get away from it all on occasion, I'm from south Africa and a serving uk police officer (only mention this so you know I'm an upstanding person)

If you can help or are looking to split a small woodland please get in touch.

Thank you

Regards

Brett

van77

Postby tracy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 am

Hi Brett

Good to hear from you. Those who have bought their woods from woodlands.co.uk have signed a covenant that they won't split their woodlands and sell sections off. This is to prevent the woodlands becoming way too small. You can see what is for sale in your area by looking at the main website

www.woodlands.co.uk

Have you considered renting? Or buying a larger piece of land with some friends and sharing it?

Best wishes with your search

Tracy (also South African!) (well, ish)

tracy

Postby van77 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks Tracey, I think I may have found a small plot now, going to see it on Saturday so fingers crossed, just out of interest, do you know how people mark their boundries ?

Regards

Brett ( now British.....ish)

van77

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:28 am

The boundaries of our woods and those of our neighbours were marked by woodlands.co.uk when they marked out the plots using posts, maybe 1.2 metres high. The top of each post painted with the colour identifying which wood it relates to. Where a post marks a boundary between two plots (as opposed to a track edge), the top has two colours, one on each side relating to the plot to that side of the post. We've stuck with that same system if we've needed to add or replace boundary markers.

The previous owner of a plot adjoining ours planted a line of crab apple trees along our shared boundary. Given that the trees grow larger without any limit to that boundary line, it's probably a good idea to get your neighbour's agreement if you're going to try something like that.

Where we've installed deer fencing we've tended to keep that back from the boundary to allow access along both sides of the fence and to avoid any potential disagreement over the exact line of the boundary. Some of are boundaries are for example, so many metres back from the centre of the track. The centre of said track can of course only be roughly placed by eye.

In the multi-plot wood where we are, some plots have their entrance and exit tracks barred with posts and chains or posts and a barrier rail.

SimonFisher

Postby van77 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks for that Simon, I'll get the tape measure out once I found my plot, I've got a plan of the plots but apparently the plots are no longer marked out.

Regards

Brett

van77

Postby van77 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Im gutted, after searching for a small plot for so long I thought I had found one, but after visiting the site, its not suitable, no level ground steeep banks on either side of a stream and backs onto a row of houses in a village that overlook the plot :-(

van77

Re: Small plot required

Postby sw-forestproducts » Tue May 21, 2013 1:29 pm

I have a large wood up by cheddar gorge. Looks over weston super mare. Wales. Brean down etc. I'd be looking to take someone in for a small annual fee. Andy
sw-forestproducts

Postby Mooresey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:27 pm

How much is rent for a woodland by area, Is there a set amount or a round about amount that people would take per acre or so?
Mooresey

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Many woods, especially coniferous, are plantations which are just growing, with no other usage. Provided users dont impact on the trees some owners might be prepared to rent at a nominal amount, particularly as having an approved person occasionally on site is a good way of deterring unwelcome activity such as dumping, poaching, log theft, etc.

An archery club near us rent a 28 acre coniferous wood from a timber company for something like (from memory) £1000 / year. The club raise the rent by doing 'have a go' sessions at county shows and other rural events. Apart from the odd stray arrow hitting a tree, theres no noticeable impact on the wood.

On the other hand, I know a farmer who has about 50 acres of woodland which he uses for a shoot that earns him £40,000 / year, so he wouldn't be impressed by an offer from the archery club.

Its a matter of finding an underused neglected wood and approaching the owner, legwork is perhaps best. Most of the owners on this site bought woods specifically to spend a lot of time in and use fully, they probably won't be the sort of low-use owner you need.
oldclaypaws

Postby Mooresey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Is it worth asking farmers? Quite a lot of farms round here have woodland on there property, some look really mature.
Mooresey

Return to Woodland - Share, Rent, Borrow or Volunteer