Small Woodland Owners' Group

North Wales butterflies

Local group stuff

Postby tracy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:06 am

This is an email I got about NW Butterflies: Please get in touch with those concerned if you want to know more:

A few notes in this freezy weather to get you encouraged about Spring!

Some advance news about 2010 events - the Year of Biodiversity - we have managed to get the eminent Lepidopterist, Professor Chris Thomas (brother of Jeremy) from University of York, to come and speak to us about 'the Great Orme Britain's best site for butterflies?' on 5th June and take us on a guided walk to see some of them, including the unique Caernensis race of the Silver-studded Blue. This will tie in with the 40th anniversary celebrations of the Orme becoming a national park. Also, we have got Iolo Williams (BBC wildlife presenter) to come to an event on 25th July as part of Save Our Butterflies week. This may take place in Colwyn Bay, but hasn't been finalised yet - so keep an eye out for more updates in the Spring newsletter and on our website;

www.northwalesbutterflies.org.uk

Thirdly, I have had a request from Pauline Mitchell, of Mitchell Ecological Consultants as below ; this would be great to tie in with our network of Transects as it may have some rare UKBAP species like Grayling present.

Please reply to this e-mail if you'd like to know more.(Cefn Mawr is near Mold, I believe)

"Would anyone from your organisation be interested in volunteering to do an annual butterfly transect at Cefn Mawr? or are you all too busy? I'm afraid I can't commit to doing weekly walks all through the whole season as I have other work to do, however, it would be good experience for someone and there are loads of interesting butterflies as you know."

Pauline Michell BSc (Hons) MIEEM

Consultant Ecologist

Fourthly, my long awaited book on Gardening for Butterflies, bees and other beneficial insects' is finally at the designers! Hopefully out around Easter.Members of Butterfly Conservation will get a special discount on theprice. If you would like to order in advance please let me know by replying to this e-mail. Below is the link to the Radio 4 programme (broadcast 26th January) on IPlayer that was made by BBC Nat Hist unit including the Natural England wildlife gardening forum conference I went to last Nov.

Please pass on to anyone else who might be interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pxmcr/Nature_Series_4_Wildlife_Gardening/

best wishes

Jan Miller, Butterfly Conservation North Wales Branch organiser,

Saith Ffynnon Farm

Whitford

Holywell

CH8 9EQ

www.7wells.co.uk

[email protected]

tracy

Return to Wales