Small Woodland Owners' Group

Eggs!

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Eggs!

Postby Tarrel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Just had the first eggs from our "ground prepping" hens. Two yesterday and two today.

Eggcellent! :P

Some of the ladies hard at work.
Tarrel

Re: Eggs!

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:05 pm

looking good, we get 2 duck eggs each day, would like to keep them at the woods, but couldn't get there every day to feed (ducks not chickens,lol)
Dexter's Shed

Postby Bulworthy Project » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Our woodland chickens have hatched 6 chicks so far. We have 2 broodys due to hatch their eggs on Monday.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:47 pm

I went outside and took a pic of our flock to post, but got the familiar 'board attachment quota reached' message, so no can do.

We have 3 Buff Sussex (one cockerel), One White Sussex, 2 Wellsummers, 2 Aylesbury Ducks. They're all laying well at the minute, so we get 6 or 7 eggs a day. We've got the postbox in our front wall, so just stick eggs on top with an honesty box. We often get tipped above the requested £1 !.

They're great fun and very tame. If we leave the door open, they come in the house. Without being too partial, have to say I love the ducks, great noises and massive eggs. They get lots of fresh greens, grass, celery and lettuce. In winter they all get a hot breakfast.
oldclaypaws

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:00 pm

My egg addition was we had a hen pheasant sitting close to a work area / small scale charcoal burn but her eggs were all eaten over night When she was not there we photographed and I counted 14 eggs!!
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 am

Heres our girls; 2 Buff Sussex, I Cockerel Sussex (Bought as a hen, Flo, but turned into Floyd!), " Aylesbury Ducks, 2 Wellsummers.

If ever you've fancied keeping chickens or ducks, its easy and great fun. You just need someone to let them out and put them to bed every night. Ours are in the front garden. A good evening game is 'search the neighbours gardens for the missing chicken'. Always found them, but one in particular does like to explore.

Flock.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 am

Do the ducks get on OK with the hens?
Tarrel

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 am

Yes. They coexist quite happily. I wouldn't say they are best friends, the ducks weighing twice as much tend to push to the front of the queue at dinner time, and are very partial to their greens (especially lettuce, grass and chopped celery- we lookout for discounted salad at the supermarket for them). There are no tensions though. The ducks tend to sit together or splash in the pond, whereas the hens forage digging in the undergrowth, but no feathers fly. They have separate houses, the ducks like theirs at ground level, the chickens is raised. Our duck eggs are twice the size of a chickens, and they lay at night, so you find the eggs in the morning. They'll eat the same food, but ducks naturally eat more pond weed and grass rather than seeds and grubs, so they like a semi-veggy diet. If you've kept chickens, ducks present very little extra challenge. The quackers are great characters and can live for up to 10 years.

We've noticed with a cockerel the girls are a lot more mellow, there's less pecking and aggression between the hens. We have one psycho hen, Cilla, the white Sussex, she was a head case, but is now far better temperament now she has a fella.
oldclaypaws

Return to Produce