Small Woodland Owners' Group

how much is beech worth

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Re: how much is beech worth

Postby smojo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Cheers mate. They offered me two other larger ones at same site but to be honest if I have to pay out £30+ I would prefer to wait now and find one nearer home. The low cost and "have it now" was a big attraction and offset the rather long distance. I really did love that little wood though.

For one morning I found out what it felt like to have a wood of your own. I hadn't bought it but it felt like mine. There was no-one else around, the sun was shining, two robins came to see me and I was in paradise for a while.
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:25 pm

yup, I started looking a 2 acres, and ended up with 7.2
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:35 pm

There was no-one else around, the sun was shining, two robins came to see me and I was in paradise for a while

Welcome to 'Forest bathing'. Chuck a few logs around and Robbies always turn up, didn't you know spades are really designed for Robins to perch on, rather than digging?

Sounds like a sample of my typical early afternoon. Overdid it a bit at the weekend so have taken it easy today, spent an hour or two doing new carefully arranged deadwood heaps. Getting quite good at making them in attractive 'organic' shapes, like snakey ones, 'nests', tree shaped ones. Always save the nicest lichen and moss covered old rotting logs for the top. After a few months the moss spreads, flowers creep through, and it becomes bug and fungi city. I notice where the bluebells are growing through an old deadwood heap, they are three times the size and very healthy looking, they must be fed by the nutrients from the decaying wood.
Nothing like a spot of 'Zen gardening' among the spring flowers to recharge the batteries.
This has been the happiest winter I can recall, all down to daily trips to the wood- you can't put a price on feeling that content.
oldclaypaws

Postby Terry » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:23 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:
There was no-one else around, the sun was shining, two robins came to see me and I was in paradise for a while

Welcome to 'Forest bathing'. Chuck a few logs around and Robbies always turn up, didn't you know spades are really designed for Robins to perch on, rather than digging?

Sounds like a sample of my typical early afternoon. Overdid it a bit at the weekend so have taken it easy today, spent an hour or two doing new carefully arranged deadwood heaps. Getting quite good at making them in attractive 'organic' shapes, like snakey ones, 'nests', tree shaped ones. Always save the nicest lichen and moss covered old rotting logs for the top. After a few months the moss spreads, flowers creep through, and it becomes bug and fungi city. I notice where the bluebells are growing through an old deadwood heap, they are three times the size and very healthy looking, they must be fed by the nutrients from the decaying wood.
Nothing like a spot of 'Zen gardening' among the spring flowers to recharge the batteries.
This has been the happiest winter I can recall, all down to daily trips to the wood- you can't put a price on feeling that content.

not been the best winter for me, but manage to escape everything when in the woods. medicine for the body & soul
Terry

Postby smojo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Arrgh I'm jealous of you guy.
smojo

Previous

Return to Produce