Small Woodland Owners' Group

Suggestions for volunteers

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Suggestions for volunteers

Postby timandsq » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:52 am

Hi All
We have 5-6 acres each of ancient/semi-natural woodland and rough pasture both bordered by a small river. Much of site is sloping with one access track and several woodland paths with some steps. Will have a group of 12 or so willing volunteers camping over the second May bank holiday. We have a fire pit and compost toilet. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for suitable (relatively unskilled) tasks for them given that we do not want to disturb any nesting sites or other valuable habitats. Thanks for having a think.
best regards
Tim
timandsq

Re: Suggestions for volunteers

Postby Dave and Verity » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:50 am

Send 'em my way, I'll put 'em to work for you. They might object to the occasional floggin, but there'll be plenty of biscuits.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi Tim,

I'd be reluctant to have the extra feet tramping round our wood at that time of year given the flora. Some things, though quite possibly specific to us would be: -

1) pick up litter along our boundary with a public road
2) check, re set and paint the tops of our boundary marker posts
3) check our deer fence and cut away and remove any entangled branches that could stress the fence they grow further

We do have a large number of old tree shelters and stakes scattered around that need collecting together ready for removal, but that's not something we'd do when the flowers are out.

Are they expecting to work, might they be happy relaxing and enjoying nature?

Simon
SimonFisher

Postby timandsq » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks Dave - we do our own floggin! And thanks Simon some food for thought. Cheers, Tim
timandsq

Postby Binz » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:16 am

how about getting them to do some wildlife surveys. see how many species of flower, insect, bird etc they can spot and it'll be a good record to compare in future years. there's activity sheets on http://www.naturedetectives.org.uk/down ... ldlife.htm that'll be especially good if there's kids amongst them
Binz

Postby Rod Taylor » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Wood Anemones is always a good one for children if you have them in your wood, the flowers have between 4 and 10 petals and competition to find a full set can take a while. Still not seen a 4 or 10 yet after years of looking.
Rod Taylor

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Didn't know that. In woods now chucking First on was 7
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby splodger » Wed May 20, 2015 4:11 pm

did you work out what tasks you are going to do next weekend?

i think not disturbing nesting sites is important to consider - but getting many eyes out and about would certainly help to identify popular nesting areas. get small groups to sit still and quietly, on a log/tree stump etc - and ask them to watch out for all creatures using that particular area - 4 people could in theory give you a 360 degree viewing. armed with notepad, pen etc - they can log what they have seen, where etc - this can help to identify what species you have on site and the habitat it uses. if you ever want to increase numbers of a particular species, you'd have a good idea of the habitat there will use in your area.

other that that - clearing rubbish from roadsides, checking fencing isn't down or broken, moving cut timber are all time consuming jobs when on your own. ditch clearing along our roadside boundary is our worst job - but oddly enough, we don't seem to get many volunteers when that needs doing :roll:
splodger

Postby timandsq » Wed May 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks to all
especially splodger - I think that it is an excellent idea and we will do this
cheers
Tim
timandsq

Postby splodger » Sun May 24, 2015 9:06 pm

hi tim - no need for thanks :oops:
i just love the woods and nature. 8-)

i haven't been able to get to our woods for quite a while - but managed to get there today - it was fantastic. positively alive with life - the noise mostly from the birds was mind blowing, never heard it so good.

so i hope your visitors have a great day - and i hope you get to learn something about your woods that you didn't know already 8-)
splodger

Return to General