Small Woodland Owners' Group

Off grid Power

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Off grid Power

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:34 pm

I guess the ideal is finding a steam engine, powered by brash, which makes an attractive low chundering sound, generates 3KV+, and is neat for pulling logs or driving a saw mill on a PTO to boot. Traction engine? Also makes the commute home more interesting, if a bit 'wearing' on the tarmac.....

Sorted !! Local too.... Not sure what Mrs Paws will think about doing the Saturday Tesco shopping trip in it though ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Case-60hp-live-Steam-traction-engine-/251611850014?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item3a953c251e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhzXDrCiY5M

Chuff chuff :D
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:22 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Not sure if Simon has shares in Alkylite fuel, but forking out six times as much for your juice does seem a tad extravagant...

Not extravagant at all - it's worth it for not having to inhale the noxious crap that would otherwise result.
SimonFisher

Postby Woodsmith » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 pm

These are far more practical, belt PTO, tipping bed on screw jacks, does about 15mph on rubber tyres. Used to 'steer' one a few years ago before the owner sold it :D :D
Attachments
steam wagon021.jpg
Woodsmith

Postby Dave and Verity » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:44 am

We use our motorhome when we stop over, fridge is run from a refillable LPG cylinder and would last for weeks on one fill. The leisure battery does lighting, water pumps etc. for about 3-4 days comfortably. We do have an inverter, but have not taken it out of it's box yet. Phones etc we can charge from a generic "power monkey" device.

I also have a suitcase generator which could be run for an hour to top up batteries if needed. Very rarely used, but handy when we wild camp.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby Tarrel » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:15 pm

For charging power tools, etc, I just have a 150W inverter that I plug into the cigar lighter socket of the car, and then plug the tool charger into that. However, I recently bought a 2.4kVA generator from Lidl for the meatier stuff - 179 quid!

I'm on,y just beginning to see the value and possibilities afforded by the generator. For example, purchasing a long bar electric chainsaw - much cheaper than a petrol one - which would allow me to set up an Alaskan Mill and mill my own timber. Could also run power tools that I don't currently have cordless versions of, such as a jigsaw and circular saw. Not to mention a fan heater for the cabin in the winter!
Tarrel

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:28 am

For example, purchasing a long bar electric chainsaw - much cheaper than a petrol one - which would allow me to set up an Alaskan Mill and mill my own timber.

If you look, you'll find most electric chainsaws have short bars and are just suitable for cutting small to medium diameter firewood, they'll be pushed to do a 12" cross cut. Milling needs a lot of grunt and the typical saw recommended is the 90cc Stihl 660 or bigger, it has the equivalent of over 5kw power, versus 2kw for Stihls top electric saw.

I've just ordered a 36" Alaskan, initially to have a play with smaller diameter logs up to a max of 15" diameter; I'm hoping my 50cc Stihl 261 will be just about be up to slowly milling small to medium logs- I asked Radmores if they thought the saw was up to it and they thought it would be pushed. Its one of the smallest spec saws on the Alaskan site where ripping chains are provided. I fully expect it'll struggle a bit and I'll soon move on to a top end 660 or 880 for anything a decent size, like my bigger fallen oaks. The £70 cost for a 20" bar and ripping chain for the 261 doesn't break the bank to have an initial milling play while I continue to build up strength after my injury. In another few months I'll upgrade to a bigger saw and have a go at the wider butts. For serious volumes of planking I expect to hire in a bandsaw.

I'm afraid if you have visions of milling loads of timber with an electric saw and Lidl generator its a bit of a non-starter. I don't see Woodmizer quaking in their boots at that prospect. You'll not be able to cut anything over about 6-8" and the likeleyhood is you'll burn out the saw in a short time, its just not powerful enough and not designed for what is very hard work even for a fairly meaty mid-range petrol saw.

"Ye canna deny the laws of physics, Jim"

Why would you want a deafening and expensive to run petrol generator and fan heater to heat your cabin when you are surrounded by free wood? Ever heard of log burners? :?
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 am

oldclaypaws wrote:
For example, purchasing a long bar electric chainsaw - much cheaper than a petrol one - which would allow me to set up an Alaskan Mill and mill my own timber.

If you look, you'll find most electric chainsaws have short bars and are just suitable for cutting small to medium diameter firewood, they'll be pushed to do a 12" cross cut. Milling needs a lot of grunt and the typical saw recommended is the 90cc Stihl 660 or bigger, it has the equivalent of over 5kw power, versus 2kw for Stihls top electric saw.

I've just ordered a 36" Alaskan, initially to have a play with smaller diameter logs up to a max of 15" diameter; I'm hoping my 50cc Stihl 261 will be just about be up to slowly milling small to medium logs- I asked Radmores if they thought the saw was up to it and they thought it would be pushed. Its one of the smallest spec saws on the Alaskan site where ripping chains are provided. I fully expect it'll struggle a bit and I'll soon move on to a top end 660 or 880 for anything a decent size, like my bigger fallen oaks. The £70 cost for a 20" bar and ripping chain for the 261 doesn't break the bank to have an initial milling play while I continue to build up strength after my injury. In another few months I'll upgrade to a bigger saw and have a go at the wider butts. For serious volumes of planking I expect to hire in a bandsaw.

I'm afraid if you have visions of milling loads of timber with an electric saw and Lidl generator its a bit of a non-starter. I don't see Woodmizer quaking in their boots at that prospect. You'll not be able to cut anything over about 6-8" and the likeleyhood is you'll burn out the saw in a short time, its just not powerful enough and not designed for what is very hard work even for a fairly meaty mid-range petrol saw.

"Ye canna deny the laws of physics, Jim"

Why would you want a deafening and expensive to run petrol generator and fan heater to heat your cabin when you are surrounded by free wood? Ever heard of log burners? :?

I imagine Tarrell was thinking more along the lines of something like this:
http://www.logosol.co.uk/sawmills/saw-u ... insaw.html
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 am

I suspect he wasn't. Tarrel was concerned about the cost of a petrol chainsaw. The Logosol Electric saw needs either 4.5 or 8 Kw and costs £2,268- considerably more than a top range petrol saw. I notice Logosol don't recommend a £179 Lidl Parkside generator as the power unit !
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:07 pm

OK. Hold my hands up and admit I was looking at doing things on the cheap!

Our trees are fairly young (24 years) and I wouldn't be looking at doing any milling on a commercial scale; just knocking up some 4x4s and 3x2s for some cabin-building I'm doing from some of the thinned-out trees, rather than buying it in. However, on reflection, buying it in may be more cost-effective.

Re. the fan heater; advantage is that it is "instant on / instant off", which suits the way we use the cabin. The generator also gives us decent light-levels, which is important when making up our wreaths during the winter months.
Tarrel

Previous

Return to General