Small Woodland Owners' Group

metal detecting

Local group stuff

metal detecting

Postby euroaceportchee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:25 am

Hi to all, I've been trying to gain permission to metal detect any land/woodland in or around my area of sittingbourne in kent but so far have had a resounding "no" so I've joined swog on the hope that there are some lovely land/woodland owners who would allow me permission to detect, I started this hobby only 2 months ago and absolutely fell in love with it not knowing how difficult it was to gain permission :( one of my friends allowed me to tag along for a day on land they had permission for and this was my first time out, on this day I had a bit of beginners luck and found half of a gold coin :D well this made me love this hobby even more, the coin was a gallo belgic type 2 stater which was one of the first coins ever in britain and this dates back to 150-50bc. I was absolutely amazed at the history of this coin, there are hundreds if not thousands of hoards of coins in kent alone still unfound, so today I'm asking for anyone who would allow me permission to detect their land/woodland and anything found, valuable or invaluable would get split on a 50/50 basis between myself and the land/woodland owner thank you to everyone who reads this post and I look forward to hearing a reply, thanks again and kind regards, tony
euroaceportchee

Re: metal detecting

Postby splodger » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:17 pm

although i don't have anything against metal detecting in principle - in fact i have often fancied having a go at it myself - i would not fancy any metal detecting in our woodland - the woodland floor is a very sensitive area - it's bad enough that rabbits scrape here there and everywhere, not sure i like the idea of random diggings going on left right and centre - too disruptive
splodger

Postby euroaceportchee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:57 am

Thank you ratcatcher you have definitely got a point, what you are saying really does make sense. I doubt i'd let someone on my land if I didn't know them so I can see it from a farmers point of view. This hobby is absolutely amazing, I'm a very keen fisherman but since I purchased my detector I haven't looked twice at my rods. I do appreciate your comment and it seems I've learned a little more since reading it and my advice is "get your detector, dust it off and get out and use it" you just never know what you're going to find, kind regards mate
euroaceportchee

Postby euroaceportchee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:06 am

Hi splodger I do get what you're saying mate I use to live on a farm on the isle of sheppey and I always remember my grandad hating the rabbits but this was mainly because they ate all his veg lol but another thing was wild mushrooms growing, he thought they was facinating but he hated me and my brother riding our bikes/motorbikes all over the farm, I thank you for yiur comment kind regards mate
euroaceportchee

Postby tracy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Sorry! I am detecting my own woodland, found some great canon shells! Keep asking though ;-)
tracy

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:40 pm

If I do any detecting in our wood, I'll be hoping to find a par of log tongs, a set of titanium-coated Torx driver bits and two archery arrows ... as that's what we've dropped or lost over the years :lol:
SimonFisher

Postby splodger » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:24 pm

i reckon we'd find a few old tools too - oh and lots of barbed wire that's buried (eons ago previous owners used our patch as cattle station - barbed wire has been found everywhere :roll: )
splodger

Postby euroaceportchee » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:40 pm

thanks for all your comments and if anyone wants their woodland cleared of rubbish then I will do it free of charge as I could detect as I go :D
euroaceportchee

Postby Altoman001 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi,
I'm joining an old post from a few years ago to resurrect the debate and receive comments regarding metal detecting permission on owned woodland.
As a beginner but with insurance and enthusiasm, Im interested in delicately exploring well trodden pathways in woodland - to see what it might reveal. Im based in Crowborough East Sussex, and keen to explore the surrounding area up to an hours drive away - if anyone is interested. You can come along as well and see what we uncover - or I will detect with a friend of mine who has a few years more experience than me (all with a signed agreement in place before we start).
Look forward to receiving everyones thoughts.
Altoman001

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:53 pm

You're likely to find lots of lovely shotgun cartridges. Due to the extensive nature of tree roots, digging would be very hard work and possibly marginally damaging to the trees and spring bulbs, although it would stimulate the foxgloves. (They are dormant until the earth is disturbed)
oldclaypaws

Return to South East