Small Woodland Owners' Group

bushcrafting

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

bushcrafting

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu May 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Is it me, or is it weird that we have two new posts from bushcrafters on the same day?
Im not trying to exclude anyone here, but surely, as the site is called S.W.OWNERS.G it should be just that, for owners, and anyone else,posts as a guest
Dexter's Shed

Re: bushcrafting

Postby Meadowcopse » Thu May 01, 2014 4:01 pm

The group dynamic surely encompasses all aspects of small woodland ownership and interactions?
I know there are some robust coppicing forums etc. but not all coppice workers own woodland and therefore have to interact with those that do.
There are also people who are interested in maybe owning woodland and spending time on the forum will help their decision making and quest.
I help look after 30 acres of 15 year old mixed woodland, but I don't own it - the group I belong to relies on volunteers, including bush-crafters and those living alternative or low-impact life-styles.
My own plot is relatively small at 2 acres and is mainly laid out with a heritage orchard of 110 fruit trees. However, the hedgerows of mature trees and ancient woodland indicators, coppice corners and experimental plantings of black poplar, sorbus varieties and elm (25 year Dutch elm susceptibility coordinated experiment), together with all the planning, management and access issues are more suited to the eclectic and vibrant mix of all the forum aspects that make SWOG a one-stop shop.
The interaction of woodland minded folk with owners and how the landscape is understood and used is undoubtedly an important aspect of wider engagement and understanding and shared learning...
Meadowcopse

Postby SimonFisher » Thu May 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:Im not trying to exclude anyone here, but surely, as the site is called S.W.OWNERS.G it should be just that, for owners, and anyone else,posts as a guest

From http://www.swog.org.uk/about-us/: -

"SWOG is open to anyone interested in the management or simply the enjoyment of woodland."
SimonFisher

Postby smojo » Sun May 04, 2014 9:54 am

I want to add my two penneth here. I can see both sides. I became interested in bushcraft a possible "proper" camping a year or so ago. At the same time I discovered people were buying their own small woodland. Something I have dreamt of for years but didn't know it was possible for me. So the idea of bushcrafting seemed like a cool way to enjoy woodlands and give me a reason to be in them rather than just walking through. I quickly realised that in this country, there is little you can do legally in our open spaces and woodlands. I joined a Buschraft forum and found a reference to this place. What a delight to find it. I read some of the threads and saw that some people here are quite happy to let the occasional guest into their woods to do a spot of bushcraft maybe in exchange for some help with manual tasks. I was considering looking for someone to let me do some camping/bushcraft in their woods too. Like the guys who posted recently, I would 100% respect the owners woods and their wishes and leave it as I found it. If you don't own your own woods and have a real drive to get in touch with nature and your pioneering adventurous side, then what are your choices? Very few if you want to stay legal.

Now on the other hand, it looks like I might be the owner of my own wood before long. I am over the moon and planning this and that already. This question has raised it's head for me. Would I be willing to let someone stay in my wood for same purposes? I am already feeling a little possessive abut it even though I don't yet own it. So it's a decision between "rock and a hard place" really. I agree there are probably a lot of so called bushcrafters who just want to mess about in the woods and drink plenty but there are also genuine people who really really want to get close to their roots and experience the hunter gatherer side of their natures and so it seems fair to me that they might come here to explore the possibility of "borrowing" someone's wood occasionally. It's not like they have flooded the forum with bushcraft questions is it?

Hope I haven't upset anyone, just offering some other aspects to the debate and food for thought.
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun May 04, 2014 1:00 pm

there are also genuine people who really really want to get close to their roots and experience the hunter gatherer side of their natures

Thanks Smojo, you've just reminded me Waitrose shuts at 4 PM today. It takes all one's stealth and guile to be the first to capture the reduced price Chicken and Wild Mushroom Vol au Vents in the bargain section.
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Sun May 04, 2014 3:00 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:
there are also genuine people who really really want to get close to their roots and experience the hunter gatherer side of their natures

Thanks Smojo, you've just reminded me Waitrose shuts at 4 PM today. It takes all one's stealth and guile to be the first to capture the reduced price Chicken and Wild Mushroom Vol au Vents in the bargain section.

Haha yes - there's a Chinese woman at our Tescos who is the Bear Grylls of reduced price bagging. You have to wear camo paint to beat her to the bargains.
smojo

Postby caspian40 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:Is it me, or is it weird that we have two new posts from bushcrafters on the same day?
Im not trying to exclude anyone here, but surely, as the site is called S.W.OWNERS.G it should be just that, for owners, and anyone else,posts as a guest

Hi Dexter's shed,
I'm guessing you could be referring to me as one of these bushcrafter's that posted?, can i just say I posted because i would like to gain permission to camp not to bushcraft although i want to use a tarp and hammock but this is just to be closer to the elements and closer still to nature itself.
I joined this forum to ask for permission to camp legally with consent, I'm not the sort of person who wishes to trespass on someones land or stealth camp as some call it, if i owned my own woodland and found someone camping on it without my consent id take a very dim view of it and wouldn't be very happy. I'm not looking to have beer swilling sessions cause any damage nor leave any mess behind and i would also offer the owner any assistance i could in return for their consent to camp in their woodland.

Kind regards
Mick
caspian40

Return to General