Small Woodland Owners' Group


Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby tracy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:35 am

I will get in touch with him on our behalf if you like and see what is available....

Posts: 1313
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Postby cagsley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:36 am

Yes please

Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:15 am

Postby tracy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:20 am

ok, I have emailed him and will let you know the reply

Posts: 1313
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Postby MikeC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:44 am

One of the things we are worried about is tree route damage to some properties neighboring our wood, in the worst case a house has been built within about 5 metres of some 80 year old oak trees.

We phoned up RAP but they were not able to confirm weather root damage was covered under the policy, and I guess we would be liable to damage to property from root damage.

It would have been nice however if the builder had thought to build the houses not quite so close to our wood.

Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:45 am

Postby tracy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks Toby for the contact, I have email Gary the insurance man and already had a reply. Can we collate our insurance needs here? Then I will email him the link and perhaps he would be willing to post information up here for us.

His website is

Are we interested in group policy if that works out cheaper? (we might have to make swog a little more formal for that)

I asked for

3rd party (trees falling on trespassers and people falling in holes)

insurance for owners working with chainsaws (with training and PPE)

Insurance for friends and family working with hand tools.

Anything else? I guess tree root damage..(see Mike C above)

Posts: 1313
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Postby James M » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 am

Capital value of trees - fire, disease. Is the main one.

3rd party liability - but it's harder to claim injury under that one if you are in Scotland because of right to roam.

Personal possessions.

Employer's liability.

Product/goods supplied liability.

Legal expenses.

Plant/buildings cover.

Pest control.

Really, you want it decsribed in terms of asset value/damage and claims arising from or in connection with forestry work, then if you are building a storage shed and break you leg, or slice your finger off when sharpening a chainsaw at home you'd be covered. Also, no condition that the policy will not pay out if you are insured for the same risk elsewhere, which is a common cop out - see my point about how much insurance people already have without realising it below.

Things like perosnal injury and legal expenses cover tend to be covered in all policies anyway - e.g. my house insurance pays up if I get killed in an accident with a chainsaw or chop my foot off, as does my BASC inssurance, car insurance etc. They all, also cover me for legal expenses if anyone makes a claim against me for whatever. Come to think of it, I get all those as a free perk to having my current account as well.

We negotiate professional indemnity insurance for ourselves in my work - the KEY thing is to get as much cover out of a broker as you can, keep it general and don't offer to add conditions like compulsory training yourself otherwise it will become a specified condition rather than just covered under personal injury. If you refuse to meet that condition then they'll refuse to cover it.

It's their job to be helpful to us and supply what we want, not our job to be helpful to them and buy what they offer. It's also their job to provide as little cover as possible for the highest price!

James M
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Postby jillybean » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Trees falling across roads. Branches falling on visitors cars/neighbours tennis court ect

Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Postby greyman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:19 am

I think for us it would be cover for:

Public Liability

Employer Liability - this would be needed as anyone not a close family relative can be construed as an employee if they are working with you in your wood. If there is another way to cover it great!

Products liability - the things we make and supply: charcoal, timber, logs etc

Pollution: Oh yes, you need that and it needs to cover events happening over a period of time and not just the drastic - we've had a an oil/petrol leak incidents. There was a change in legislation in March of this year and simply put you are now responsible for informing the Environment Agency if you have 'polluted' your land. You can then be made to return the land to it's pre polluted state.

So I guess I'm asking for much the same as others - with the added pollution bit


Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Postby Warren BTCV » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:01 pm

If we have enough interest BTCV plan to run a one day Risk Assessment course in September.

Warren BTCV
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 am

Postby greyman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:22 pm

I shall be very, very interested in that.


Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:09 pm


Return to All things legal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests