Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tree Bogs

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Tree Bogs

Postby smojo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Loving the handrails. It looks almost regal. I can imagine the Queen sat in there surveying her realm ;)
smojo

Postby Tarrel » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Yes. Lends a whole new meaning to "sitting on the throne"!
Tarrel

Postby Tarrel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks for the kind and constructive comments folks. Re. stuff falling on the roof; yes, a concern, as the panels are quite thin. However, we hardly ever have branches falling from the Noble Firs. The wood never gets to the point where it is easily snapped. Even brash that has been lying on the ground for a few years just bends when you try to snap it. Still, we'll watch that as an issue.

Work continues. The featheredge board lower walls are now complete, and the reed screening is in place. I hope this is going to provide enough privacy. If not, I'll erect some shade cloth as an "inner lining". This evening I cut the panels for the "box" that will support the loo seat, using the mains-powered circular saw at home (laser-guided - my new favourite toy!). Hopefully by the end of the weekend, the unit will be functional (although without a door and hand-washing facilities as yet).

As the structure has "filled out" it now looks a bit weird, suspended in mid-air, but I think this will be improved when it gets its steps and lower reed "skirt" to hide the - ahem - business!
Tarrel

Postby smojo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:22 pm

One of my next jobs is to build a simple composting toilet. As someone else mentioned, it is mainly for visiting ladies which will be very rare and the occasional poo when caught short or staying overnight in summer. I have an old plastic barrel I was going to use for the container, which will have a wooden box around it to bolt a toilet seat to. I was going to cut the bottom off the barrel and sink it into the ground but having looked at toilets on youtube, I see many designs are just a 5 gallon bucket in a box. No holes are cut or drilled in the bottom, they just add some material like soil, ashes, leaves etc and allow it all to compost down and empty it when full. Does that seem to be the best way for a compost toilet that only gets light use, rather than allowing the liquids to drain into the ground?
smojo

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:59 pm

Depends how much effort you want to put in. I started this thread with my tree bog and I am really pleased with it, it doubles as a store for hand tools and it has really blended in. The bracken is so high round it it has almost disappeared.
No flies, no smells and it means when I invite visitors or have BBQ's the guests have somewhere reasonably civilised to use.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Terry » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:56 am

smojo wrote:One of my next jobs is to build a simple composting toilet. As someone else mentioned, it is mainly for visiting ladies which will be very rare and the occasional poo when caught short or staying overnight in summer. I have an old plastic barrel I was going to use for the container, which will have a wooden box around it to bolt a toilet seat to. I was going to cut the bottom off the barrel and sink it into the ground but having looked at toilets on youtube, I see many designs are just a 5 gallon bucket in a box. No holes are cut or drilled in the bottom, they just add some material like soil, ashes, leaves etc and allow it all to compost down and empty it when full. Does that seem to be the best way for a compost toilet that only gets light use, rather than allowing the liquids to drain into the ground?

Important to remember Smojo - the 'liquids' must be kept out of the composting toilet!
Terry

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Terry wrote:

Important to remember Smojo - the 'liquids' must be kept out of the composting toilet!

easy enough to do when a guy is using the WC, but how about the ladies??
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Yeah exactly Dexter. One of the main reasons for wanting to build one. That's why I asked the main question - is it better to drill holes to let it drain although t'internet advice seems to say no. So I'm no nearer to getting a workable plan.
smojo

Postby Terry » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:36 pm

haha, just the messenger. dont know what solutions others have developed for the ladies, but there are commercial units about that must have come up with a workable approach - not looked into it as yet.
Terry

Postby smojo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:03 am

I'm starting to think that because it will only be used very occasionally, not to bother with a bucket at all but just dig a hole and put some leaf litter etc in the bottom, then build a box with a toilet seat on it to place over the hole. Then some sort of modesty fencing around the whole thing.
smojo

PreviousNext

Return to General