Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello from Aberdeenshire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hello from Aberdeenshire

Postby Landpikey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

We're now into our third full day of being wood owners and so far it's been fantastic!

I've been looking into the possibility of wood as a fuel to lower our outgoings for a while now (oil fired range and oil fired central heating). We have tried to buy some land adjoining us but the farmer told me that he himself is looking to buy more and that he would like his son to move into the family business when he is old enough. That was when we were resigned to looking further afield and so we had a look to see what was out there.

On November 3rd I looked around a friends conifer wood (planted about 12 years ago) and it just made us more determined that this is what we wanted. My wife happened to walk passed his wood later in the day and saw that the wood opposite had a woodlands.co.uk sign on it. We viewed it on the 5th November 2012 and to cut a short story even shorter our offer was accepted and our solicitor had been instructed within 4 days of our viewing. 5 1/2 weeks after viewing it, we now own it! Add to that the fact that I've only seen it once in the daylight (and once at night after a bonfire party!) and I've also been working away for 6 weeks but head home tomorrow. (what are the chances of cooking a turkey on a camp fire??? Hmmm, maybe we will leave that for another time)

We were going to dive straight in to the tasks that are needed but after reading all of the posts and blogs it seems all we were going to do is totally the wrong thing. So we will just make safe some hanging trees, tidy up and fell some leaners and just enjoy the changing seasons. We will discuss a management plan with the FC at some point in 2013 and then go from there.

It's mainly broadleaf with one larger corner of spruce and larch and also one tiny corner (mature Scots pine, fir, larch and spruce). It seems (from pictures) to be mainly sycamore but also is supposed to have oak, ash, birch, elm and lime as well. The flora contains the following; ferns, orchids, blue speedwell, primroses and purslane. But all of that is taken off the particulars. I've downloaded an app that will help me identify individual trees so we will be able to confirm for ourselves when the leaves burst!

There are 2 wet areas that might be suitable for a wildlife pond, although again we will wait as my idea of a pond is different to what is actually required.

It's 4 miles from our house and is situated on a quiet road with little passing traffic. There are 2 public footpaths noted on the plan but they don't join up and don't go anywhere so I don't envisage too much trouble with people rampaging through. Friends, family and those who show respect for the occupants of the wood (we know there are roe deer and pheasants) will be welcome to walk around. In Scotland there is "the right to roam" which means you can walk around, even camp overnight and have a camp fire. You must only take dead wood for the fire though.

I think that is quite enough from me, I apologise for waffling. If you got this far you deserve a medal! I've read quite a few topics on the board and this post covers a few of them.

Seasons greetings to fellow members and good luck for 2013.
Best wishes
Dave and Elayne
(Landpikey)
Landpikey

Re: Hello from Aberdeenshire

Postby splodger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:19 pm

can i have a medal please :D

welcome to the forum - and welcome to the magical world of woodland ownership :D
splodger

Postby Landpikey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi splodger,

I can't find the medal emoticon on the side panel, will a few big smiles do for now???

:D :D :D :D

Thanks for reading to the end.

Dave
Landpikey

Postby Landpikey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks ratcatcher.

We will be taking heaps of pictures but will limit our postings to any particularly interesting wildlife. A friend of ours has a wildlife camera that he wants to lend us to see what is about.

I used to be on a fruit and veg forum and chatted with a "ratcatcher" on there many times..... coincidence? :?:
Landpikey

Postby dredger99 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi neighbour.

It was a pleasure to meet you and your family, hopefully when the weather clears and the sun comes out :roll: we can have a cold one while discussing the pros and cons of this woodland ownership malarkey.

Rgds

Keith
dredger99

Postby Landpikey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 pm

dredger99 wrote:Hi neighbour.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your family, hopefully when the weather clears and the sun comes out :roll: we can have a cold one while discussing the pros and cons of this woodland ownership malarkey.
Rgds
Keith

Keith
We all look forward to catching up over a campfire (with a cold beer from the burn) in the near future. Take care and all the very best for 2013!
Happy New Year
Dave, Elayne
plus 1 wet twin, 1 dry twin (there may have been shoving involved!)......
Landpikey

Postby Landpikey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:27 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Trust you have sporting rights to trap the haggis?

Congrats. ;)

oldclaypaws,
Thank you very much. :)
The haggis is a curious creature and one we are yet to spot in the wild! Although we do have full rights to pursue the little blighters, I heard that as they are born on the side of hills they have one set of legs longer than the other so are very difficult to catch!

Best wishes for 2013 from all of us near Aberdeenshire!
:D
Landpikey

Return to Introductions