Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hello from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Postby wayne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi there other SWOG members!

Just a brief introduction, I have a 4 acre woodland in Holmfirth, West Yorkshire containing a mix of Oak, beech, pine, holly, silver birch and probably a few others that I've forgotten. The woodland is private, but we do occasionally have walkers wandering through. I currently use the woodland for firewood (fallen/deceased trees), wildlife interest and the odd occasionally bit of fun on my trials bike! I am also interested in making charcoal as I also have a very keen interest in fireworks being a senior member of the UK Pyrotechnics Society.

I'm looking to learn from other members about the responsibilities (and liabilities :( ) or woodland ownership. Ie, recommended insurance arrangements and risk management procedures for surveying and risk assessing trees (I'm wanting to perform this myself without the need of a arborist).

I already use all the fallen timber for firewood (I'm now a master at log stores :) ) and have made contact with the council for taking or dropping deceased trees in a conservation area (woodland is protected), so I have experience of the procedures that are required here.

Anyway, I hope to be active on here, so hopefully speak to some of you soon.

Cheers,

Wayne.
Ignite Pyrotechics: Professional Firework Displays http://www.ignitepyro.com
wayne

Re: Hello from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Postby wayne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi there,

We only use parts of the wood which are baron of vegetation (the woodland is valley based) with rocky outcrops, for trials. There's not a lot but rock and leaf mulch (which doesn't do much for grip I can tell you!). Deeper into the woodland, there are more brambles, bracken etc that we tend to keep away from. We still get deer and an amazing amount of wild birds, so I don't think I'm spoiling anything! In fact, early one morning I had deer watching me on the bike, completely unphased by me being there! I guess its a bit of balance!

Interesting that you we're into pyrotechnics, many lads were in their youth. If things are conducted in a competent, safe and professional manner, its still possible to enjoy the amazing world of pyrotechnics. I'm currently leading the society (http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk) through explosive legislation review to expand the regulations to allow for scientific experimentation. This review as taken me as far as a recent meeting at the home office and you would be surprised to hear that the response could have been any more positive! Anyway, a little off subject, but feel free to take a look at the society forum or PM me for further info. Solid rocket motors - nice :)

P.S. Do you insure your woodland?
wayne

Postby wayne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 pm

LOL, Hhhmmmm, maybe that why he seems so un-concerned of my presence, pretending not to be bothered and then to jump me at the last moment for my bike and run off to father christmas with it! :lol:

We have a few walkers and the odd kid in there from time to time. I did contemplate putting up some "KEEP OUT - PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign, but in the end I thought they problem draw more bad attention that actually help anything. The woodland also runs in parallel with a quiet lane (20 mph and practically dead), but there is still a risk of a branch falling on someone or something.

I've looked up R-A-P, I might well go with that just for peace of mind. Still unsure though to what level the tree need risk assessing for the insurance to be valid in the event of a claim.

I did know of kn03.com at the time, seemed a proper dodgy character and sold some very risky chemicals, not surprising he got his collar felt. I never bought anything from him due to the dodgy nature and extreme high prices. I know a few chaps who sell pyrotechnic chemicals online in a responsible manner and quite happily doing business. As usual, if its all done in a responsible way, its all viable!

Yep, theres a lot of widely available stuff out there that potentially could reek havoc. Interestingly, the agriculural chemical you refer to has had a few controls put on it, but you can still get it if you have a responsible use for it...

As attractive as it sounds of having a free supply of kno3, I think I'll stick to buying it... ;) My wife thinks I'm mad enough as it is with my firework passion let alone asking her, "can you do it in this bottle?" :lol: Anyway, you better get collecting if you want to get the large solid rocket motor off the ground!
wayne

Postby thebeechtree » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi all, I see you're talking about woodland insurance as well as deer with ASBOs...
I run a woodlands insurance scheme and whilst RAP are technically competitors, they do recommend me if you have helpers in the wood, whether paid or voluntary. Also, if you are running events of any description, eg, bluebell walks, coppicing days, woodcraft tuition, charcoal-making, etc., I can help. In return, I'm happy to advise that if you don't need any of the above "extras", then RAP are fine and I will return their favour and recommend them.
Anyway, I'm happy to give advice regardless...
Gary Alexander
www.thebeechtree.com
thebeechtree

Return to Introductions