Small Woodland Owners' Group

anyone tried Rural Arbor Products ?

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

anyone tried Rural Arbor Products ?

Postby paul » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:09 pm

hi
I wonder if anyone has any experience claiming on the public liability woodland insurance policy sold by Rural Arbor Products?
(http://www.r-a-p.co.uk )

They're a bit vague about what is actually covered. I did ask for a copy of the policy document but they declined to send it to me, saying they have only one hard copy and it's too big to send out copies. This seems a bit irregular for an insurance company, and of course they make their money out of what's written in the small print. It is important to know what one is paying for, after all!

So does anyone have any experience of claiming on the policy? did they pay up? (Insurance cover is provided through Willis Limited, the broker, and Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, the underwriter. RAP are a sales agent as far as I am aware.)
paul

Re: anyone tried Rural Arbor Products ?

Postby Bulworthy Project » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:32 pm

We were with them but when we wanted to allow the local primary school access to our woods free of charge, they told us that we were not covered as the local primary school were not classed as members of the general public. Now we use Beech Tree.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby Rankinswood » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi Bulworthy,

I have my woodland Insurance through RAP but have never had to claim however year on year this is getting to be more expensive and so I would be interested if you could provide contact details for Beech Tree.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:25 am

We use the "Woodland Owners Public Liability Insurance" from Rural Arbor Products Ltd.

From my own experience of this policy, what you are buying is as described in "Section 2 - Public Liability Insurance" from the document available at http://www.r-a-p.co.uk/policy.pdf, a copy of which is provided to me annually upon renewal along with the certificate of cover, all as PDFs sent via email. Do bear in mind that it is ONLY the Public Liability aspect of the policy which is applicable.

Any questions regarding the policy can be directed to Kevin Brown of Willis Limited (the broker) on 01382 735 122. I have spoken to him on at least two occasions and found him most helpful.
SimonFisher

Postby Bulworthy Project » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Rankinswood wrote:Hi Bulworthy,

I have my woodland Insurance through RAP but have never had to claim however year on year this is getting to be more expensive and so I would be interested if you could provide contact details for Beech Tree.

Rankinswood

http://www.thebeechtree.com/
Don't be put off that they're called Beech Tree Entertainment. They'll create a policy to suit. Gary has been really helpful to us.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Hello We are a "just in case" a trespasser falls over example so we have renewed with RAP which has increased 39% ish this year Have never had to claim but compared in cost to NFU (have not read small print it is cheaper) B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby paul » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 am

My wood is a lot in a larger wood consisting of over ten plots. The RAP policy doesn't limit the size of the wood - I wonder if all the owners could club together and get a single policy rather than one each, to reduce the growing cost of public liability insurance? has anyone tried this?
paul

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:34 pm

paul wrote:My wood is a lot in a larger wood consisting of over ten plots. The RAP policy doesn't limit the size of the wood - I wonder if all the owners could club together and get a single policy rather than one each, to reduce the growing cost of public liability insurance? has anyone tried this?

There is a limit to the size of wood, see http://www.r-a-p.co.uk/. Your situation of multiple individual owners doesn't seem to meet the criteria for being able to take out a single policy. If you do it by trying to be vague with the truth or misleading, you could well end up with having your policy deemed invalid in the event of a claim.

You could try contacting the broker directly (see a previous post from me in this topic for details) and see what sort of premium they'd offer you if you got your ten owners to take their insurance through you. You'd be taking on the administration that RAP currently do and for which they earn a fee.
SimonFisher

Postby paul » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Rural Arbor Products are after my money again, £181 this time

I must say I feel like I am being fleeced by a coalition of the insurers and the personal injury litigators. Between the pair of them, they've got a nice little thing going.
paul

Postby paul » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:10 pm

SimonFisher wrote:You could try contacting the broker directly (see a previous post from me in this topic for details) and see what sort of premium they'd offer you if you got your ten owners to take their insurance through you. You'd be taking on the administration that RAP currently do and for which they earn a fee.

They said each owner needs their own policy
paul

Next

Return to All things legal