Small Woodland Owners' Group

Husqy 435 chainsaw

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Husqy 435 chainsaw

Postby smojo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:48 am

Just for the hell of it I have been checking out some cheaper options and came across this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Power-46cc-Easy-Start-Petrol-Chainsaw-18-Bar-Quality-Chain-2-4HP-/221451609034?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item338f8b63ca

Obviosuly it's not going to be quality like you'd expect from the top names but at that price should I risk a punt on one seeing as I'm going to be a light user, it might suffice for the time being. I am very much into guitars. A USA Fender telecaster will cost you about £750 but you can buy a similar Tele which is made under licence in Asia for about £150. The USA ones are definitely better but I'm not sure they are 5 times better. We all know you pay more just for "the name".

So is a similar Stihl chainsaw at 10 times the price 10 times better?
smojo

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 am

You've done it now.
I feel the wrath of OCP coming and the resurrection of the Widow Maker debacle!
Maybe you could delete the post before he wakes up?
Wendelspanswick

Postby outeredge » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:46 am

Yes, you'd better delete the post smojo!
outeredge

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 am

as it was me and not ocp that started this arguing many moons ago, I don't see why smojo should delete the post, it's a funny old world mate,
I have a friend, we both own land rovers, the difference is, his cost him £15,000 where as mine cost me £1500, now they both go to the same garage for mot's, both get full services done etc, is his one any less likely to kill him than mine???? it's one of those questions that you'll always get 100's of replies too, at the end of the day, it's the USER, that could be to blame for an accident, but not always... see it could still be other factors involved

yes there are lots of bad reviews out there on cheap chainsaws, as there is with most other gadgets if you look, I cannot find any "list" that specify what job these chainsaws were being used for at the time of acciedents, but I would bet money, that 99.9% of the time, it's home diy'ers that have an odd tree in the garden to remove yet don't want to pay hundreds to have it removed, they see a cheap chainsaw, think, well I will only use it the once, and try cutting down a 60ft tree,

do a search, you'll find certified lumber jack's and tree fellers have accidents too, and they are using the "proper gear"

the cheap one's have the same safety features as their expensive counter parts, they can be returned to sellers if necessary, when I bought mine, I phoned the company, had a chat with the owner and bought over the phone on my card, they have a facebook page (m j tools) which I've posted on in the past, and mine, which has now been in use for around 15 months is still going strong, I cant say the same for the husky :(

me using my widow maker

http://youtu.be/uRjN3hvR7Sw
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:00 pm

My Chinese made Einhell brushcutter lasted 3 hours before an important component flew off into the bushes, due to crappy cheap low grade metal.

Had that been a critical component on a chainsaw, I might have not been able to type this comment. There are loads of incidences of cheap imports being found to be dangerously unsafe. You have no legal comeback, spares or guarantees from an Ebay seller. They can sell you any old rubbish and you takes your chances.

Having spent 3 months watching daytime telly with a nasty injury, it would be my suggestion that before getting one you familiarise yourself with daytime telly schedules. I have to say I enjoyed 'The Golden Girls', 'Pointless' is of course a must, and I even had time to notice the different outfits worn by the weather forecasters. Angus has some quite shiny ties. Of course I'd sooner have been in the wood rather than A & E and weekly physio visits.

On the other hand, you could take the attitude that its not worth compromising on quality and get decent kit, it wont mechanically fail and will retain its value, lasting many years. Good tools are always a pleasure to use and something to be proud of. With a cheap chinky it'll be unreliable, unsafe and embarrassing.
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:40 pm

I knew it would be contentious asking this question but it's good to get plenty of opinions. They will differ and in the end I have to make my own decisions. I do like to see both sides of an argument and the trouble is - both sides have some good points. I'm defo getting a husky b/cutter as it will get plenty of use and be worth the investment. The chainsaw is still with the jury as I'm not in a hurry for that. Just gathering evidence still. Thanks everyone for all your advice so far and as my mum used to say "play nicely" :twisted:
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:15 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:My Chinese made Einhell brushcutter lasted 3 hours before an important component flew off into the bushes, due to crappy cheap low grade metal.

Had that been a critical component on a chainsaw, I might have not been able to type this comment. There are loads of incidences of cheap imports being found to be dangerously unsafe. You have no legal comeback, spares or guarantees from an Ebay seller. They can sell you any old rubbish and you takes your chances.

Having spent 3 months watching daytime telly with a nasty injury, it would be my suggestion that before getting one you familiarise yourself with daytime telly schedules. I have to say I enjoyed 'The Golden Girls', 'Pointless' is of course a must, and I even had time to notice the different outfits worn by the weather forecasters. Angus has some quite shiny ties. Of course I'd sooner have been in the wood rather than A & E and weekly physio visits.

On the other hand, you could take the attitude that its not worth compromising on quality and get decent kit, it wont mechanically fail and will retain its value, lasting many years. Good tools are always a pleasure to use and something to be proud of. With a cheap chinky it'll be unreliable, unsafe and embarrassing.

yes, I'm sure the imported models have their fair share of failures, but then so do named brands, you just tend not to hear people slate them off, instead they praise the good customer service when it's replaced immanently, your recent accident puts up a good point, was it an inferior product that you were using, not good old English steel? or was it down to user error, if it was the later, then surely you can agree that lots of accidents happen that way, rather than via the tool, but the tools get blamed, rather than someone admit to being incompetent, what's that old say, a bad workman always blames his tools :D
as for your quote of, unsafe,unreliable and embarrassing, I can honestly say that for me, none of those have happened or crossed my mind, or maybe the sun really does shine out my **** :lol:
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:42 pm

good on ya ocp for searching, google is a great device

http://stihl.pissedconsumer.com/

I couldn't be bothered to look for more, but theres probably more if you look,
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:45 pm

You'll have to do better than that Dexter, many of those grumbles were about either arguments with various distributors or issues that have come about through misuse, theres also quite a few compliments about Stihl.

The endorsement by professionals and opinion of many multi-brand distributors show that Stihl are pretty much the benchmark for reliability and solid construction, thats what's made them the worlds no.1 chainsaw company. No company is 100% perfect, but Stihl reflect the typical German reputation for good engineering. It comes at a cost obviously, but you do tend to get what you pay for.

The fact so many Chinese copy them is perhaps the ultimate compliment. Mine hasn't been used for 4 months and started 3rd pull.

It's a free market and up to each individual to do what they think will work for them, it would be boring if we all did the same. ;) Go ahead and get a cheapie if you want Smojo, on the parallel thread I was discussing the hypothetical accounting practices of my wooden leg manufacturing company, I'll send you our catalogue as you might need one before long. :lol:
oldclaypaws

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance