Small Woodland Owners' Group

Private Members Only Forum

A place to offer feedback on the forum and suggest improvements

Re: Private Members Only Forum

Postby SimonFisher » Sun May 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Zathras wrote:Any more thoughts on a general forum that is only accessible by website members?
ie. one which requires you to be logged in to see it so won't show up on google searches or drive-by viewings...

What sort of thing do you want to post that can't be seen by the wider audience?
SimonFisher

Postby Zathras » Sun May 10, 2015 8:40 pm

For example, I would prefer for talk of trailcams and links to the videos to not be quite so public.

I am aware anything posted can still be viewed by applying for free membership to the board, but that extra level would still be a whole lot better than being indexed on google or just a few clicks away on a drive by browse.
Zathras

Postby boxerman » Sun May 10, 2015 8:49 pm

I think the main trick has to be to be very careful about giving clues as to your exact location - folk you've leaned to trust can be given that info via PM if it's needed. OK, if someone is determined to find you and prepared top spend the time researching it'll always be possible to locate you but the average menace simply wouldn't waste their time to do that and if they were then all they have to do is get registered to read anyway.

The problem with not being indexed by google is that if you're not, very few would ever find the place and activity here is already so low that that one last nudge would send the place to wherever the Dodos went.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Rich » Sun May 31, 2015 9:28 am

boxerman wrote:The problem with not being indexed by google is that if you're not, very few would ever find the place and activity here is already so low that that one last nudge would send the place to wherever the Dodos went.

Except that we do have a scenario arising where a group of people who all own woods in a larger wood want to be able to communicate amongst themselves privately about local issues concerning their wood. Google indexing would be irrelevant. Not exactly what the original poster was requesting. But I'm thinking this would be a good use of the 'regional board' viewforum.php?f=23 Just been having a look through it and it's obvious that the topics in there could also be in any of the categorys in the main board, just that the poster has chosen to post in the regional board instead.

It might be better to dedicate part or even all of the regional board to owners/managers or interested parties who want to talk amongst themselves about sensitive information.

All I would need to set it up is someone from the wood to send a list of people and emails who want to join the closed group. Theywould all know each other anyway.

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Previous

Return to Feedback and suggestions