Small Woodland Owners' Group

Sapling swap

feel free to post unwanted/surplus or wanted items

Sapling swap

Postby Jackdaw » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi All.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in swapping some Tree saplings ? .

I'm after 20-50 (or any really) sweet chestnut saplings say 12-24". If you fancy the same ,hornbeam or possible Hazel in exchange, maybe we could do a swap ?
Plenty of other species in the wood, but hornbeam and hazel are the most numerous.

My wood is in Kent.

Any thoughts ???

JD
Jackdaw

Re: Sapling swap

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:19 pm

You could do worse than buy a couple of bags of chestnuts from Waitrose, chill them until the spring in a fridge and then plant them in pots, if they germinated I reckon they'd reach a couple of feet in the first year. I'd also like more chestnut and have several bags of nuts in the freezer. They've been there since 2013, but it would be interesting to try and see if some would sprout. You'll need deer protection on saplings, they love chestnut shoots.

Happy Hunting.
oldclaypaws

Postby Jackdaw » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi

Yep, i'm already on the case with the propagation option, have had excellent success with many species via stratification of seed etc.
I was really just looking to cut a couple of years out via swapping saplings, but never mind ill persist with seed.
Jackdaw

Postby Jackdaw » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:31 pm

" You could do worse than buy a couple of bags of chestnuts from Waitrose ".

Waitrose !!!, you think us poor Kentish woodland owners are made of money ?. Its Aldi or the forest floor for me, waitrose indeed !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jackdaw

Return to For sale, swap, wanted, share or give away