Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bager cull

Local group stuff

Postby tracy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:09 am

Sadly is looks like the badger cull in Wales is going ahead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8622873.stm

tracy

Postby Henrietta » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Yes Tracy, a very disappointing decision.

Henrietta

Postby woodbodger » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:54 pm

How is this badger cull going to work? Our woods are a mile away from where the badger cull ends and they are teaming with badgers, lots of sets, so surely in the fullness of time the young from my woods can go out and colonize the newly vacant sets in the cull area. Of course snuffling around through the grass they will come across snot from tb infected cattle and around everything goes.

woodbodger

Postby Henrietta » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:20 pm

All the time cattle are moved from one end of the country to the other, the bovine tb problem will persist and the the badgers will continue to be the scapegoats.

Henrietta

Postby tracy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:27 am

I watched a brilliant film about this - if we kill all the badgers - healthy included, then sick badgers will move in to all the empty sets. What farmers want is healthy badgers on their land to keep the sick ones out. We need to be killing all the poor sick badgers.

I know I know every little really about all of this -but I do hope that this doesn't go ahead. I am trying to find out if the cull people have legal access to your land. Anyone know?

tracy

Postby Exeldama » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:41 am

I picked up a sub adult badger yesterday that had been fighting with others. This cull is plain stupid and politically motivated to keep farmers happy.

As said if you cull yet the enviroment is still present , a new group will establish centered upon the batchelors such as the one that i picked up which would otherwise succumb without a territory, in fact long term you may actually weaken the species by replacing obstensibly genetically superior badgers with inferior ones.

Man seems unable to resist interfering.

There is plenty of evidence that cattle in areas with unaffected badgers populations still have TB. and its probably that the badgers got it from the cattle to start with anyway. Its the same with Foxes and mange.. years ago wild populations very rarely had mange but since they have come into contact with domestic dogs the urban populations are getting hammered by it.. ie its dogs that started it off.

There was talk of vaccinating more wildely but it seems economics and politics win badgers lose.

Exeldama

Postby jillybean » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:35 am

I went to a meeting at the the east Kent Badger group, If the Tories get in they will approve the cull in England and lift the Ban on foxhunting.

jillybean

Postby Exeldama » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:47 am

dont get me started on foxhunting. There is not one single argument that holds up except tradition. If you have a prob shoot it , clean, humane done.

Exeldama

Postby Henrietta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Cameron has been on fox hunts.

Henrietta

Postby Keith Williams » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:03 am

Arguments for foxhunting - If farmers / landowners hunt they will maintain hedges, copses etc to enable hunting. If they have no interest, barbed wire replaces hedges, foxes wiped out. I like foxes but do support hunting, while understanding peoples aversion.

Keith Williams

Next

Return to Wales