Small Woodland Owners' Group

Barn done.

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Barn done.

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:37 pm

Finishing touches to the barn. Big galvanised doors are on and its all weatherproof. Just putting in an internal division, splitting it into the vented timber area (30 foot by 30 foot) and the warmer shelter & workspace (15 foot by 30 foot) which will have a woodburner and an upper floor. Sawmill arrives end of next week to start milling oak. Pip is supervising.

tele in barn.jpg

partition.jpg

tele pip barn 2.jpg
oldclaypaws

Re: Barn done.

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Nice shiny galvanised door, 11 feet high by 8 wide. Or is it a portcullis? Should be enough to keep out the zombies.

barn door.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Looks good OCP.
Mine is on hold at the moment, the ground is so wet that any vehicle movements will cut the ground up too much. The meadow is rut free at the moment and that's the way I aim to keep it, unless we get a hard frost its going to be a while before I restart the building work.
Clearing gorse and brambles from the woodland and meadow boundary instead to keep me busy.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Gawd bless the Council for dumping several thousand tons of quarry chips in the old 18th Century pond. It's not only made a great well drained firm substructure under the foundations, but means we have an all weather road in and large firm parking area. We've had lots of cement mixers, bull dozers, tractors, telehandlers and large trailers full of wood and steel on the site, but its still solid and accessible if a bit clarty.

Took a bit longer than I thought but its worked out really well. Leaves me well placed to lay into the surplus timber next year and will do some felling over the next couple of months. Dragged this one out the other day with the telehandler to try the sawmill on. Its 25feet long and about 30" wide. Been down for quite a while, all the sapwood is off but it still looks good inside.

first log.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Looks wonderful Are you taking orders (Ha Ha)?
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Tim Gathers » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:36 pm

wow, thats quite a construction! Any pics from the outside?
Stories, friendships, products and memories for outdoor lovers.

Join the real sharing economy at http://www.gatheroutdoors.co.uk
Tim Gathers

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:21 pm

More of construction on the earlier post. http://www.swog.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2273

20151124_142716.jpg
oldclaypaws

Return to General