Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland Hyperlapse Videos

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Woodland Hyperlapse Videos

Postby Zathras » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:05 pm

I hearby infect this forum with a new craze: Instagram's Hyperlapse App.

Maybe my friends and family will no longer yawn at me showing them 30+ minute woodland video tours.

Here is a complete end to end walk of our woodland - hyperlapse style - in just 4 minutes. 8-)
This is the other direction in hyperlapse but faster, in just 2 minutes 23 seconds.

A quick loop of just the Pond in hyperlapse.

Some bonus footage of me doing the canoe trip to camp, again in hyperlapse. :lol:
Zathras

Re: Woodland Hyperlapse Videos

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks Zathras, that's an interesting technique, what kind of trees are in your wood? difficult to tell as you speed by!
Love the canal trip, was that just a pleasure trip, or is that the route you have to take to get to your wood?
SitkaSpruce

Postby Zathras » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Mostly hawthorn, elder and ash.
A couple of holly, hazel, crab apple and oak.

There is no vehicle access onto the site, so it is either a kilometre walk or two km boat trip.

If I'm camping on my own then it's canoe, if there are more of us then I take the Honda with an outboard.
If it is a day trip then I walk.
Zathras

Postby Zathras » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:01 am

Here is the walk in hyperlapse.

I have found they do not scale well and look much better on mobile devices or tablets.
Not sure why but I suspect it has something to do with the compression, so will be playing with the settings to see if they can be improved for desktop viewing.
Zathras

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:14 am

I'm presuming this hyper-lapse is a program where you add your film, and it get's speeded up for you ???
I'd say you'd be better off just getting a free editing package and doing it yourself, as I personally never watched any of those all the way through, it get's boring after a couple of minutes, no sound, no commentary, I'm in no way a master at editing my short clips, but I try my best to keep them interesting to any watchers, large boring bits can be removed altogether, other bits that are relivent can be speeded up within the clip, background music can be added, along with captions on sections, describing to the viewer what's happening

I just installed a parachute canopy in our camping area, of course made a short film, but watching me tie knots in endless amounts of nylon rope would be boring, those bit's are therefore cut to a minimum, and speeded up
Dexter's Shed

Postby Zathras » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 am

The Instagram Hyperlapse is a smartphone app.

You simply click the button to start recording, same again to stop, then choose your speed - out pops a hyperlapse to your camera roll.

Saves on all the post processing, and does a great job of smoothing out the shaky handheld videos.
Zathras

Return to General