Small Woodland Owners' Group

2014 = Abundant shoots and growth?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

2014 = Abundant shoots and growth?

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:00 pm

I've not got 50 years of experience to go on, but I've noticed loads and loads of new shoots coming from the base of my Hazels this year, and also from other coppice species such as Sweet Chestnut, far more so than in the previous couple of years. Even quite shaded thick older overstood stools which are usually inactive seem to have put out several new healthy shoots from the base, which are now 3 or 4 feet high.

Has anyone else noticed this prolific spurt of new growth this year, is it unusual and what is the likely cause? Only thing I can think of is the combination of a mild winter, lots of ground water and then a warm spring and summer. Everything else also seems to have gone crazy, I've got nettles over seven feet high, and maybe the Hazel and trees are just joining in what is generally an unusually strong year for growth.

Paws.
oldclaypaws

Re: 2014 = Abundant shoots and growth?

Postby Meadowcopse » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:52 pm

All my hedgelaying, coppicing and pollarding has been successful and yes, more abundant than expected, particularly as the ground here is hard and dry.

Quite a bit of good new growth on my younger orchard trees, although larger relocated transplants are not as prolifically leaved as the ones left in-situ (but expected)...
Meadowcopse

Postby Terry » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 am

mmm, not noticed anything being especially prolific this year round our way?
Terry

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:27 am

Its only about 80 miles away. but I reckon from the rainfall charts we had quite a bit more water than you last winter (remember the Somerset levels?).

With a high density of big oaks, they usually suck up all the ground water, it might be this year there was enough for everybody.... :?
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Cracking crop of blueberries on my two bushes in the garden.
smojo

Postby Terry » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 am

I suspect the main difference was not the amount of rainfall as we had our fair share, but that we are on the side of a ridge that drains very efficiently into the valley below.
We also have a number of springs which tend to have a very constant flow rate regardless of rainfall or season. This together with the lie of the land means we dont get peaks and troughs with water supply so presumably more consistent growing conditions from one year to the next.

On a slight aside, have been told the land is good for a vineyard, so in a bit of a quandry wether to increase the woodland or branch out into viticulture :? :D
Terry

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:23 pm

On a slight aside, have been told the land is good for a vineyard, so in a bit of a quandry wether to increase the woodland or branch out into viticulture

As you may have guessed, grape vines are climbers, not unlike hops. In the 'wild', they can apparently reach a width of 45cm and grow up to a height of 35m into the canopy. The only problem with that is you wouldnt be able to reach the grapes !

However if you had a medium sized spreading tree with an open structure, like say an Apple, Cherry, maybe an Oak, no reason why you cant have a grape vine growing up it, so you could have your sunny wood and the old plonk plant, the fruit harvested with a ladder. When I've seen grapes in England, the birds don't seem too fussed, surprisingly.
oldclaypaws

Postby Terry » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 am

I like your thinking paws - have my cake and eat it.
We've all heard of forest gardens so why not a forest vineyard :D
Terry

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:59 am

As a bonus yesterday I was fighting my way through the undergrowth and suddenly noticed a tree covered in what looked like large green and yellow cherries, masses of them. I tentatively nibbled on one and it tasted plum like, very nice in fact.
I picked a few and took them home with me and after googling I managed to determine that is a White Bullace tree and the fruit is the forefather of the Greengage.
We have damsons, greengages and plums at home but I had never heard of a bullace before and the fruit at home is nowhere near ripe whereas the bullaces are a good few hundred feet higher and perfectly ripe.

I will take a few pictures and add them to OCP's Herbarium.
And in a few months, if I can wait that long, I will review my White Bullace Gin!
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:18 am

Congratulations on your find and look forward to seeing it on the herbarium. Sounds like it might be a golden bullace, more frequent is the black one which looks like a damson plum. On a slightly killjoy cautionary note, I'd say with any wild find, be it fruit or fungi, it would maybe be a bonus to find out what it is before eating it. Particularly so if in the company of children; there are things out there that will make you very ill. (see Herbarium, Deadly Nightshade, nice shiny little black berries which taste sweet). The other pretty berries that look very tasty but are pretty vile and toxic are the orange cuckoo pint, and although more a garden plant, laburnum 'pea-pods'. Lots of good things out there to eat, but best to be sure. Happy and 'informed' foraging :D
oldclaypaws

Return to General