Small Woodland Owners' Group

New member from the Outer Hebrides

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

New member from the Outer Hebrides

Postby MacMhuirich » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right place...

At 71 acres, I have a feeling that my land won't really be regarded as “small”, and having only 7 (yes, seven) trees over a foot tall, it's not really a “woodland” either. But I do own it, am utterly determined to create a woodland there over the coming years, and have found many of the threads on this forum incredibly useful.

The land in question is a croft in the Outer Hebrides. The entire croft extends to 440 acres but, in 1999, around 100 acres were set aside for the Millennium Forest for Scotland Project. The first planting, in 2002 failed completely (mainly because deer can swim – don't ask!) and, in 2006 the area was reduced to the current 71 acres. A second planting thereafter also failed (unless you take a “glass half full” mentality to extremes and are satisfied with the 7 trees that survived).

I became the tenant of the land around 5 years ago, and took ownership in 2012 - an incredibly proud moment for me as my family had lived on that piece of land from as far back as the 18th century until 1952. My first priorities were to make management of the livestock more straightforward. Most of the land is an uninhabited island, so nothing is really “straightforward” as such. But, that having been achieved, I turned my attention to the “forest”.

Over the course of this year, I've made the deer fence secure and begun planting. So far, I've put in around 600 willows, 100 Downy Birch, 100 Alder and 100 Scots Pine. In all honesty, I'm really just experimenting at this stage. My knowledge of trees prior to this really can't be understated – I could recognise the plastic ones that my presents were under when I was a kid, but that's about it. Seriously! Being raised in the Outer Hebrides, you're naturally as familiar with trees as you are with skyscrapers, double decker busses and multi-storey car parks – basically they're all tall things that live somewhere else!

To my surprise, and delight, I've found that around 1000 Rowan trees planted previously which I thought had been grazed to death over the past 8 years have actually survived. They've appeared again since making the fence properly secure and, although they average only around 5cm in height, it looks like they're going to make it after all.

Progress will be slow. Planting a tree involves carrying it quarter of a mile from the nearest road, rowing 100 yards and then carrying it another three quarters of a mile to the fenced area. From experience, I now know that I can only do 150 at a time this way before my sciatic nerve tells me “that's enough”. And there's a good reason why there's few trees here – I've learnt that peaty soil, regular 50mph+ winds carrying salty air off the Atlantic and very little natural shelter aren't conditions conducive to tree growth. But it's a learning curve I'm enjoying. I've gone from ignorance and disinterest on the subject of trees to near-obsession. I even have various trees growing in window ledges around the house just so I can observe and learn how they develop day to day!

I think I'll get there, but I think I'll need some help and advice along the way. Thank you in advance for any that you can give on this forum.

A couple of photos, to give a feel for the landscape...

PANO_20140708_164023.jpg

The eastern boundary of the woodland. A little embarrassing that there are more trees outside the deer fence than there are inside!

DSC_0674.JPG

An Alder planted this summer. Early days, but of all the species planted, Alder is certainly the one that's doing the best so far.

DSC_0563.JPG

The remains of a blackhouse in the woodland - probably mid 1800's. In the distance (on the left of the picture) is the island from where Bonnie Prince Charlie made his escape "over the sea to Skye" in 1746
MacMhuirich

Re: New member from the Outer Hebrides

Postby boxerman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:41 pm

That looks like one hell of a challenge - be good to see it thriving in the future though I'm guessing that there's good reason for it's current lack of trees...

With a mentality like that I guess you'll fit in just fine here..
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby ballibeg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:32 pm

You'll be a dab hand at the grants by now! The ability to purchase land for 15x the annual rent is very attractive. Well done for getting stuck in!

Dave
ballibeg

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Welcome aboard. Interesting challenge in a wild but beautiful location. I suspect one of the reasons theres little tree cover on the West Coast, apart from the environment challenges, is the free roaming sheep and deer. Crofters would use whatever trees were around, and grazing animals would eat any saplings. The deer fence should sort that issue.

Although Google maps generally reveals a 'wasteland' without trees on the West Coast (thats a bit of an unfair description for such wonderful scenery, and you do have stuff like drifts of yellow Irises and heather), there is the odd pocket of trees.

Here, for an example is a nice belt of trees on Mull.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.5561699,-6.3042772,291m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I also notice if you look at some of the large houses, like Dunvegan Castle, its surrounded by trees, while the surrounding area is empty. Chances are they could afford to build walls to keep the sheep out.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Dunvegan+Castle/@57.4476428,-6.5890889,342m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x488c4cfbbac48e43:0x156309ce64c91fc2?hl=en

Theres a clue at Dunvegan about which tries may succeed in your enironment- an area called 'Birch Wood'

From memory of happy holidays in the West of Scotland, the trees that can stand Northern climates and acid soil are as you say Rowan, then Birch, Conifers, Pines & Firs, Larch, Willow, Holly, Dogwood, Whitebeam (another sorbus, close to Rowan), Maples such as sycamore, Acers, & Yew. Oak does OK on higher dry ground, might be worth trying a couple, I remember seeing it in Ireland & Scotland.

Rhodos also like acid soil, but don't think you'd want to start a new Ponticum forest, Natural Scotland wouldn't thank you for that.

The above species are all worth trying, Birch and Willow in theory should be pretty successful, fit in well and be good for wildlife too.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:04 pm

welcome to the forum, a very interesting read for your first post, hope to read many more
Dexter's Shed

Postby Rankinswood » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:53 am

Hi MacMhuirich,

I am not quite sure that you are in the right place - it might be better consulting with Reforesting Scotland where they have real expertise in this topic.

I have some knowledge of the Outer Hebrides having had a summer job on "The Golden Sheaf" trawler sailing out of Stornaway with Roddy McIver. I know that wind and rain will make the establishement of trees difficult combined with the blanket bog which killed all of the trees in the first place. The investment that you have made in fencing should pay dividends but will not stop rabbits and voles which also wreak havoc with young sapling.

I am very jealous of your blackhouse walls. Given the remoteness of this site maybe you should add a new roof and use this as you base of operations.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Hello Welcome
Sound lovely but challenging
Keep us all updated as it progresses

May be a bit far for a SWOGs meeting
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby smojo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:29 am

Hi and welcome. I reckon you deserve some sort of award for having the bottle to take that on. Seems like a mammoth task but where there's a will.....Hats off to you.
smojo

Postby MacMhuirich » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Thank you to everyone for the responses and encouragement. All appreciated.

I just wanted to reply to a couple of points...

ballibeg wrote:You'll be a dab hand at the grants by now!

Sadly, no. The grant was almost entirely swallowed up by the previous two attempts before my time, so there's next to nothing left in the pot for replanting this time. I'm not sure if I'll qualify for assistance at some point in the future - except that I know for sure I won't if I don't get at least 4,000 trees established. So, it's an issue for another time. First things first. That said, since securing the fence, there are a few other trees suddenly appearing - aside from the Rowans mentioned in my first post. I don't have a clue what some of them are, so expect a ""What the heck is this?" topic from me at some point with photos of the unlikely survivors.

Rankinswood wrote: The investment that you have made in fencing should pay dividends but will not stop rabbits and voles which also wreak havoc with young sapling.

This is one positive I have. There are no rabbits at all in the area, and I don't think there's much in the way of voles either. I assume the birds of prey have this one covered, mainly eagles. I do see owls from time to time but, from long-distance observation, it doesn't look to be a happy hunting ground for them. Otters are really the only ground animals I see there with any regularity. Please don't tell me they eat saplings!

oldclaypaws wrote:From memory of happy holidays in the West of Scotland, the trees that can stand Northern climates and acid soil are as you say Rowan, then Birch, Conifers, Pines & Firs, Larch, Willow, Holly, Dogwood, Whitebeam (another sorbus, close to Rowan), Maples such as sycamore, Acers, & Yew. Oak does OK on higher dry ground, might be worth trying a couple, I remember seeing it in Ireland & Scotland.

Rhodos also like acid soil, but don't think you'd want to start a new Ponticum forest, Natural Scotland wouldn't thank you for that.

The above species are all worth trying, Birch and Willow in theory should be pretty successful, fit in well and be good for wildlife too.

That list is really useful. I had been advised to concentrate on Willow and Downy Birch, which is fair enough, but ultimately I'll want to have more diversity than that. This is the reason I've tried a small quantity of Alder and Scots Pine, and I'm certainly going to try Oak and Holly. Oak was suggested by the nursery, but I'm not sure about your reference to higher ground. The highest ground on my croft is only about 60 feet above sea level and, naturally, the most exposed. If it's the dryness that's the most critical factor, then I have some spots in mind. I do want to do my experimenting early on. I know Holly can work - one of the few survivors from the previous attempts is a Holly tree that was hidden in the heather...

DSC_0434.JPG

Cunning eh?
MacMhuirich

Return to Introductions