Small Woodland Owners' Group

Please Upgrade the Forum to Handle Pictures Properly.

A place to offer feedback on the forum and suggest improvements

Please Upgrade the Forum to Handle Pictures Properly.

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:15 pm

I find it a real pain that this forum seems to struggle to insert pictures rotated in the correct orientation.
I understand that the pictures are tagged with the orientation when they are taken but it only seems to be this forum that fails to orientate them correctly.
Even asking the Mods to rotate the pictures correctly falls on deaf ears.
It's a shame as this forum seems to be dieing a slow death but if adding content becomes a chore it will die even quicker.
Wendelspanswick

Re: Please Upgrade the Forum to Handle Pictures Properly.

Postby boxerman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Wendel - I have nothing to do with running the place but I will say that the forum is phpBB3 - I run two forums using this software and they both work fine in this regard. It's actually pretty good software and I downloaded, rotated and reposted your pic the correct orientation without problem. I supsect that the problem is actually more to do with whatever your using to rotate than the software itself. At a guess your probably using an on-line photo editor? If so these do, quite often revert to the original form when posting so it's worth having a play with whatever inbuilt software your PC has to rotate - I think the important thing is to save the rotated item to the PC and double check it's rotation before posting.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks for replying. I very rarely use a PC, I tend to upload photos directly from either my personal iPhone, my works Android phone or an Android tablet. I upload the picture to the forum, if it's upside down I then rotate the picture on my device and upload it again and it still puts it in upside down.
Strangely it works fine on the Arbtalk forum and another forum I frequent.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Judith » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 am

Hi Wendelspanwick,

I'm no techie, but I'll pass on your comment to the right person and see what he says.
Thanks,
Judith
Judith

Postby Judith » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:24 am

Tech support will look into it, but meanwhile, here are some words of wisdom:

"The problem is - there’s two ways to rotate an image in the jpeg file format… One is to actually rotate the image, the other is to set a little flag in the image file to tell whoever displays the image to rotate it… Some software understands both, some doesn’t… Loading it into an image editor & re-saving it can often reset the file to be actually rotated rather than flagged, but experimentation is required. "

Hope that helps for now!

Judith
Judith

Return to Feedback and suggestions